Wall Hammer Polyp Bailout

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Wall Hammer hasn't been doing great the last couple of weeks (maybe since christmas?). Very little inflation, had a single polyp bailout a few weeks ago. I've been struggling to get my nutrients up for quite a while but finally got it figured out. I assumed things would get better from here. Now yesterday the whole head is started to come out of its skeleton, at this moment it is only about 20% left in its skeleton. The polyps still have colour and don't look like they are dying.

When I was just looking at the Hammer, it seems like it is secreting something into the water. It is not white slime, but something white looking that gets carried away by the current right away. I would describe it as milky.

Now I am mentally prepared that this coral will not make it, but I wonder if it is somehow irritating my other corals with this milky stuff, although today is the first time I've seen it do that and it does not seem to be doing this constantly.

What should my course of action be? I'd hate to just throw it in the garbage, but I am also worried it will float around the tank and kill other coral(s). Could it be releasing harmful chemicals in the tank that are affecting other corals?

Last Saturday I checked my water parameters and this is what I got:
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8
NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 5 (up from zero since Jan. 31st)
PO4: 0.05

ALK: 7.8
CAL: 425
MAG: 1520

Most of my other corals seem fine, although some have shown less or hardly any polyp extension.

My tank is about 55 gallons of actual H2O, mixed reef with about 10 frags. The sump has a Bubble Magnus 5 Protein skimmer, fuge with Cheato (Kessil H80) and BRS reactor with 1/4 cup of Carbon and Aquaforest Life Bio Fil.

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning the Hammer looks about the same as last night. Still attached but barely...

I would love to hear some advice!

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried a wall hammer but it is on my bucket list. with that said, my branching hammers survive anything but 2 things.

First thing you want to look at is flow. Has this changed recently? Too much flow will cause the polyps to rip or tear, allowing the second thing to happen

Second thing, Bacterial infection. usually it is something distinguishable such as brown jelly disease but some times it is more subtle. For the wall hammer, was there tissue that grows over the skeleton? or does it all live within the wall crevice? I ask because i can always tell something isnt right with my hammers when i see the tissue start to recede along the skeleton towards the actual polyp or head in this instance. Many advise against this as it stresses the coral but when i fear bacterial infections I do an iodine dip with seachems version of the product. This is just my method however and i recommend you to research more about it, there are pros and cons as i understand it and it is far from fool proof.

Keep in mind, I am no where close to an expert, and nothing i said will help your coral in its current state other than maybe lowering flow if flow has recently changed.

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried a wall hammer but it is on my bucket list. with that said, my branching hammers survive anything but 2 things.

First thing you want to look at is flow. Has this changed recently? Too much flow will cause the polyps to rip or tear, allowing the second thing to happen

Second thing, Bacterial infection. usually it is something distinguishable such as brown jelly disease but some times it is more subtle. For the wall hammer, was there tissue that grows over the skeleton? or does it all live within the wall crevice? I ask because i can always tell something isnt right with my hammers when i see the tissue start to recede along the skeleton towards the actual polyp or head in this instance. Many advise against this as it stresses the coral but when i fear bacterial infections I do an iodine dip with seachems version of the product. This is just my method however and i recommend you to research more about it, there are pros and cons as i understand it and it is far from fool proof.

Keep in mind, I am no where close to an expert, and nothing i said will help your coral in its current state other than maybe lowering flow if flow has recently changed.

Thank you for your response!
I've had this coral for almost 3 years and I'll be sad if I lose it!
Concerning flow: I changed my return pump on Jan 1st. The flow increased for sure, but it has been sheltered by the rock work (it has been in the same general area since July). I did dial down my return last week to 33%. A few days later it seemed the coral did better, but it did not last long.
I think the bailout started on Monday after I moved it just ever so slightly. Maybe an inch?

Bacterial infection is a possibility and I wish I had dipped it a while back. I feel like it might be too risky now. To my inexperienced eyes, the coral seemed fine except for not inflating and at night it seemed more deflated than usual. I think it is possible the tissue was receding towards the polyps.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you the best of luck, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can help you out. I watched helplessly as my Yuma colonies melted over the course of 3 days and it's not a fun feeling.

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sghera64... maybe you can help out on this one? As I know youve been quite successful in your attempt at Wall Hammer

Good luck man. Wish I could help!

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you the best of luck, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can help you out. I watched helplessly as my Yuma colonies melted over the course of 3 days and it's not a fun feeling.

Thank you! From the research I've done it seems there is not much that can be done, this is my desperate attempt to see if there are any new developments on this.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it is too late in the process to really save it. Walling Euphyillia can be a challenge. They don’t like change. Especially sudden change. The flow may have ticked it off or a parameter had a swing when you weren’t looking. I just had a torch bail because I tweeted my return nozel.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was young I had a small neon green wall hammer with polyp bailout.
Within a week it was gone. :(

I searched but could not come up with any specific treatment to stop its death.

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it is too late in the process to really save it. Walling Euphyillia can be a challenge. They don’t like change. Especially sudden change. The flow may have ticked it off or a parameter had a swing when you weren’t looking. I just had a torch bail because I tweeted my return nozel.

Wow, that's crazy!
Thanks for the comment. I'll guess I'll just leave it for now. Is it possible it is secreting anything that is irritating other corals?

When my tank was young I had a small neon green wall hammer with polyp bailout.
Within a week it was gone. :(

I searched but could not come up with any specific treatment to stop its death.

That's very unfortunately, I guess I'll be in the same boat soon

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the white substance. My only guess could be semen as it is already last ditching efforts by bailing, Why not give it the best chance.

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the white substance. My only guess could be semen as it is already last ditching efforts by bailing, Why not give it the best chance.

A "going out of business sale" :(
Makes sense...

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last ditch effort I would try either a dip in Lugol's or erythromycin bath.
If it is going to die, the effort wound not be futile.

Best of luck.
Let us know how it turns out.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last ditch effort I would try either a dip in Lugol's or erythromycin bath.
If it is going to die, the effort wound not be futile.

Best of luck.
Let us know how it turns out.

+1 on Logul's

My experience with wall hammers is that they are quite tolerant of many changes (lighting, pH, nutrients even flow). You can see my videos of my fragging them with hammer and chisel. I then dip in Logul's.

I have had Wall hammers close up in one segment and the rest of the specimen does fine. Cause in my case was something got into that segment (polyp from another LPS or irritated by bubble tipped anemone).

Question: do you have any other euphyllia species in the system (torch coral, frogspawn, etc.)? If so, are their polyps less extended than normal?

If Logul's does not slow down the bail-out, or if you are really desperate, frag the coral. Cut into the good parts to separate them from the troubled part. Make sure you cut into the good tissue so that the part you keep has only good tissue. I.e. you have to cut so that the dying piece you discard also contains a few millimeters of good polyps. Then dip the frags in Logul's for a couple of minutes.

Here is a link to how rough I can be with fragging to help you get comfortable doing it. [LINK].

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Logul's

My experience with wall hammers is that they are quite tolerant of many changes (lighting, pH, nutrients even flow). You can see my videos of my fragging them with hammer and chisel. I then dip in Logul's.

I have had Wall hammers close up in one segment and the rest of the specimen does fine. Cause in my case was something got into that segment (polyp from another LPS or irritated by bubble tipped anemone).

Question: do you have any other euphyllia species in the system (torch coral, frogspawn, etc.)? If so, are their polyps less extended than normal?

If Logul's does not slow down the bail-out, or if you are really desperate, frag the coral. Cut into the good parts to separate them from the troubled part. Make sure you cut into the good tissue so that the part you keep has only good tissue. I.e. you have to cut so that the dying piece you discard also contains a few millimeters of good polyps. Then dip the frags in Logul's for a couple of minutes.

Here is a link to how rough I can be with fragging to help you get comfortable doing it. [LINK].

Interesting, mine has also been very tolerant of some tank abuse about a year ago, while I was building my new system. So I am quite shocked the way it is behaving right now. At this time, the polyps all look fine (although some not inflated at all, but other that are outside of the skeleton inflated quite a bit today), but the head is 90% removed from its skeleton and barely holding on. Should I cut off the part that is all hanging outside of the skeleton? What should I do with the other (cut off) tissue? Discard it?

I have no other Euphyllia species in my system, but some of my other corals (cyphastrea, closed brain) aren't super impressed either. I do have a Bubble Tip decently close to the hammer, but have never seem them touch.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I am worried that the moment I take it out of the tank for a dip it will completely let go... I wish I had done this at the beginning of the week.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, mine has also been very tolerant of some tank abuse about a year ago, while I was building my new system. So I am quite shocked the way it is behaving right now. At this time, the polyps all look fine (although some not inflated at all, but other that are outside of the skeleton inflated quite a bit today), but the head is 90% removed from its skeleton and barely holding on. Should I cut off the part that is all hanging outside of the skeleton? What should I do with the other (cut off) tissue? Discard it?

I have no other Euphyllia species in my system, but some of my other corals (cyphastrea, closed brain) aren't super impressed either. I do have a Bubble Tip decently close to the hammer, but have never seem them touch.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I am worried that the moment I take it out of the tank for a dip it will completely let go... I wish I had done this at the beginning of the week.

Can you attach a couple of photos from different angles? I can then draw on them where I would make cuts. Depending on size, I might have a way to do a dip without it having to be removed from the water.

OP
OP
niQo

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you attach a couple of photos from different angles? I can then draw on them where I would make cuts. Depending on size, I might have a way to do a dip without it having to be removed from the water.

IMG_0412.JPG

I don't see how I can still frag this...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back