Wallets empty, wife's angry, and I'm in over my head!

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you can do if you end up having to toss frags is actually drying it out and letting the flesh rot off in the yard, I use stuff like that as rubble piles in my tank.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of advice. Keep the chalice away from everything else, mine releases sweepers at night that literally flow 6 inches away, crazy amount of sweepers dude. Great deal you got tho!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I've been trying to give extra coral away on Facebook and Craig's list for months now with no takers. A few weeks ago the birdsnest started looking sad and I decided I was going to do a lot of trimming anyway. Round one is the huge pile of loose anacropora on my sand bed.

Before
PXL_20221112_230649973.jpg

After
PXL_20221112_231655104.jpg

Bucket of frags going in the garbage.
PXL_20221112_231705728.jpg

I struggled so much with this, seems like a capitol sin to throw away good coral. In the end though the nearest LFS that will take it is 3 hours away and I've given frags to everyone in town who wants it. I still have a lot in the tank and I can always break off more frags if someone wants some.

Next on the chopping block is the huge birdsnest In the middle. But I think I'll wait a week while I watch parameters to see if this is going to throw off the tank.
Wow, I wish I’d seen your build thread sooner. I might have made the drive to help you dispose of the cuttings there :)

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I wish I’d seen your build thread sooner. I might have made the drive to help you dispose of the cuttings there :)
I'm in Wenatchee and I've got plenty more to get rid of if it's worth the drive for you. Next on the chopping block is that big birdsnest in the middle. I'm going to keep one nice looking branch to start over with and pull the rest out. I've been trying to find someone to take it but no one wants to make the drive. Lots of other stuff that you can have a piece of also.

One thing you can do if you end up having to toss frags is actually drying it out and letting the flesh rot off in the yard, I use stuff like that as rubble piles in my tank.

Yes that what I'm going to try. Pretty thin stuff and might not be very useful but who knows.
Word of advice. Keep the chalice away from everything else, mine releases sweepers at night that literally flow 6 inches away, crazy amount of sweepers dude. Great deal you got tho!
Haha yeah I've had it a while now and I've seen the sweepers, they can get crazy long. The piece I kept has been in the same spot for a few years now and never caused a problem.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm if you have a jawfish or something that burrows crushing that thin stuff up I know for sure they'd use it outside their burrow.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm if you have a jawfish or something that burrows crushing that thin stuff up I know for sure they'd use it outside their burrow.
I hadn't thought of a jawfish, that's a cool idea, hmm....

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Wenatchee and I've got plenty more to get rid of if it's worth the drive for you. Next on the chopping block is that big birdsnest in the middle. I'm going to keep one nice looking branch to start over with and pull the rest out. I've been trying to find someone to take it but no one wants to make the drive. Lots of other stuff that you can have a piece of also.
I would love to take you up on that but I have one little problem, my current tank is totally full and my planned upgrade is probably 2-3 months out. The timing is unfortunately poor otherwise I’d be knocking on your door :)

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be taking my buddies skis to him in wenetchee soon so I may have to see if you got any trimmings when I come over!

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys make me wana go infect my neighbors with the reef bug. Nah but seriously I wish more people I knew nearby were into reefing.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds similar to my situation phx is about the same distance give or take and that's where most the reefers are.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys make me wana go infect my neighbors with the reef bug. Nah but seriously I wish more people I knew nearby were into reefing.
I have tried to do this a few times. Almost got a co worker to set up a tank, but then his wife got a sense of how much it was actually going to cost and put a stop to it.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol you should get him hooked with a tiny 5 or 10 gallon that's how i got started get them addicted to shrooms.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So painful, I finally decided to get rid of the huge birdsnest in the middle. It was just to big to trim back and no one within a 3 hour drive wanted it and I broke it off the rock and I'm going to dry out the skeleton.

PXL_20221125_202834893.jpg

PXL_20221125_204030891.jpg

PXL_20221125_204323568.jpg
PXL_20221125_204126654.jpg

I know it's the right thing for the tank. But it still hurts to dump an entire colony in the back yard. I'm hoping this will give all it's neighbors some breathing room. And I kept a few small pieces to start it over with.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like some nice branches to scatter along the bottom of the rock work. I used some dead acro branches I found in my rockscape , so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_193614572_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221109_193614572_HDR.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like some nice branches to scatter along the bottom of the rock work. I used some dead acro branches I found in my rockscape , so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
That's not a bad idea and will probably be what happens. Every Christmas my family does a home made gift exchange and I was thinking that if I could get it nice and bleached it would be a cool gift.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also glue them together on some sort of plug and grow an encruster on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back