Walt Disney Tenuis Grow-Out Thread

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following to see the progress as well, under the right lighting I love the look. Reefers, jezzz people. :rolleyes:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It falls in line with my RR orange passion.
But orange passion actually still looks good under white/blue T5s; the polyps still appear orange.

Whenever I watch reef documentaries and I see acros all over they are always brown in the wild with a few exceptions. But pictures in people's aquariums there are always these bright colors.
That's different; almost all corals look like brown turds under daylight. It's the spectrum of light we intentionally keep our reef tanks under which creates that "pop".

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the scary part I read from Mike Paletta is sometimes an acro frag can change color from its mother colony. I doubt that is the case with yours. When it gets bigger you will see the colors. I know Cornbred was selling his Rainbow Passion frags VERY SMALL.
no offense to Cornbred... but what doesn't he sell thats VERY small? lol

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got maleficent from Cornbred that was fully encrusted and about 1 inch. His frag might be small but for someone who is new to acro...all the frag from him is (small) but super healthy and full PE when it hit the tank.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got maleficent from Cornbred that was fully encrusted and about 1 inch. His frag might be small but for someone who is new to acro...all the frag from him is (small) but super healthy and full PE when it hit the tank.

1 inch is a nice size for a frag. We were mostly talking about the WD or Rainbow Passion he sells. They were literally 1/4". I have seen him sell bigger ones too so it just depends on price.

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response.

Well I know my OP is not photoshopped nor consist of any filters. I like the Yum Yum but it doesn't look like my WD.

Not being a fanboy and not trying to justify my purchase. All I know is I am happy with it and not trying to persuade people to buy it. I just wanted to create this thread to document my growth as I never did it with my other frags.

If you want, send me a frag and I will do a side by side shot :)

I feel like I owe the OP an apology. I didn't pay careful enough attention to the fact that this thread was his grow-out progression and posted a pic of my frag placed under high light. I was just trying to show that I was trying this coral high up under MH, as well as T5 and Reefbrites. To compound things, I responded to someone griping about never seeing a legitimate pic. Then more followed. Sorry.

I have every confidence that this coral will impress me in the future, maybe even left high with MH/T5s on. I don't know. But it is just a frag now and hasn't been with me nearly long enough to tell. Nor have most peoples experiences with this coral been deep enough to make snap decisions about it one way or another, It is certain that a few have very good results with this coral under LEDs. That is about all that is really clear until we see some longer-term results from others.

Again ReefMadScientist, Sorry.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I owe the OP an apology. I didn't pay careful enough attention to the fact that this thread was his grow-out progression and posted a pic of my frag placed under high light. I was just trying to show that I was trying this coral high up under MH, as well as T5 and Reefbrites. To compound things, I responded to someone griping about never seeing a legitimate pic. Then more followed. Sorry.

I have every confidence that this coral will impress me in the future, maybe even left high with MH/T5s on. I don't know. But it is just a frag now and hasn't been with me nearly long enough to tell. Nor have most peoples experiences with this coral been deep enough to make snap decisions about it one way or another, It is certain that a few have very good results with this coral under LEDs. That is about all that is really clear until we see some longer-term results from other.

Again MadReefScientist, Sorry.
No need to apologize! You are welcome to post up your WD or any acro related here. I welcome those posts. Plus, its important to note that this frag is not very impressive during the day. It still looks amazing to me but pictures really do not do it any justice.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my frags baby momma. She had a baby at a young age. (Blue Actinics)

IMG_15741_zpsqovvugfs.jpg

My frags sibling. (T5 white/Blue)

IMG_85741_zpsyi5h98ka.jpg

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do frags go from brown to that? It is had to believe that lighting can make those colors just come out, but maybe so.

That's different; almost all corals look like brown turds under daylight. It's the spectrum of light we intentionally keep our reef tanks under which creates that "pop".

:)

I do have a few acros that look awesome under white lightning. Just depends.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a coral has to look nice during the daytime lighting period, If under actinics it looks bettter then i'm even happier...
It is nice to see you posting a honest picture to,,, Fair play :)
Enjoy your coral my friend
Thanks man! Yeah during the day its meh...surprised how something so beautiful at night can look so ugly during the day.

Someone should rename the WD the Drunk Man's Tenuis.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will we see a honest picture of this coral?
What makes blue lighting dishonest? If it looks like that under blues it's an honest picture of it under blues. I run my lighting with the blues turned on high, and my tank looks good, when I turn off the blues, my tank looks gross. My corals don't care if I add blues to the whites, so why should I? I'd rather have a colourful reef, not a brown one.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes blue lighting dishonest? If it looks like that under blues it's an honest picture of it under blues. I run my lighting with the blues turned on high, and my tank looks good, when I turn off the blues, my tank looks gross. My corals don't care if I add blues to the whites, so why should I? I'd rather have a colourful reef, not a brown one.

I think Chopsie was talking about photoshopped pictures. I am against photoshop and refuse to alter my photos.

Its funny because some sellers/sponsors on here, WHO HAVE NOT POSTED IN THIS THREAD, use photoshop like crazy and people are all crazy about his/her corals. I've seen some in real life...I didn't get fooled.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Chopsie was talking about photoshopped pictures. I am against photoshop and refuse to alter my photos.

Its funny because some sellers/sponsors on here, WHO HAVE NOT POSTED IN THIS THREAD, use photoshop like crazy and people are all crazy about his/her corals. I've seen some in real life...I didn't get fooled.
Makes sense.
Also, IMO I'm okay with editing photos AS LONG AS you're doing it because the camera can't pick it's colour up right and you need to edit it too look like it really does. We've all heard the phrase "It's sooooo much brighter in person, camera just doesn't pick it up"

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back