Walt Disney Tenuis Grow-Out Thread

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

Thought I would break out of my shell and do a "grow out" style thread. I have a few nice frags that I wish I would had tracked a few years earlier but they are mini-colonies now so too late.

Just a FYI - I have a Reef Raft Orange Passion (Asia), ORA Joe the Coral, ORA Tri-Color, Blue Bonsai, Miyagi Tort, WWC Bizarro cyphastrea, etc. etc. but this frag steals the "stunning" show. Just nothing compared to the colors and "POP".

Parameters:
pH: 7.8-8.0
Temp: 77-79f
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3ppm
po4: 0
Calcium: 440
dKH: 8.5
Magnesium: 1500

Supplements:
Reef Roids
BRS Reef Chili
Pohl's B-Balance
Pohl's Potassium Iodide Fluoride
Selcon
Vita-Chem Marine Formula
Radiant Reef Feeder Feast

Without further due.

Here is the first picture of, hopefully, a long life for this baby.

Photo taken from a Samsung Note 4
20150811_160514-01_zpsv3ielcku.jpeg

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is coming at the end of the month :)

although. my supplier wants $600 for a 1" frag. if you got a better supplier, send him my way? lol

$600?? Ouch :(. I managed to get a nice frag from Mike B. in a trade. Its growing but not fast enough to spread around yet, sorry.

Looking forward to seeing the growth and colors as this nice frag grows out in this thread.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering where you would buy a $600 frag. I never see anything like it when I browse around online.
It's very pretty, as it should be.

Last edited:

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$600?? Ouch :(. I managed to get a nice frag from Mike B. in a trade. Its growing but not fast enough to spread around yet, sorry.

Looking forward to seeing the growth and colors as this nice frag grows out in this thread.

yeah im gonna have to bite the bullet. this is a real choice piece.

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody actually got a picture of this coral under 14k lighting.
Every picture of it I have seen is under lots of blue
The picture had some white in it. I can get a white picture under LED if you'd like. I can tell you it still stands out compared to the other acros I have seen.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend and I went in on one from Cornbred, mine has no blue yet it looks like the Orange Passion but time will tell

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend and I went in on one from Cornbred, mine has no blue yet it looks like the Orange Passion but time will tell

Yeah the scary part I read from Mike Paletta is sometimes an acro frag can change color from its mother colony. I doubt that is the case with yours. When it gets bigger you will see the colors. I know Cornbred was selling his Rainbow Passion frags VERY SMALL.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me jump in as I have one of the first frags Mike released about year or so ago, it might be a bit longer than that.
Since than the price jumped a little higher than I got it for............. $225........... sorry don't blame me, I just paid the bill, LOL!
Now I have to put up some pics of what I have and if I have time (not Paul B time :p) and it will be this weekend to shoot some.

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have this piece it's blue at the moment just wondering what kind of lighting you have it under as in low light. Med or high I have a 6 bulb ati
Thanks

OP
OP
ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have this piece it's blue at the moment just wondering what kind of lighting you have it under as in low light. Med or high I have a 6 bulb ati
Thanks

Right now I have it in low light. It seems to be happy there at the moment. I will move it up slowly and see how it does. My plan is to get it near my other SPS colonies but on its own rock of course.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a slow grower for sure, Mike warned me for this.
Same issue I had with my Jawdropper............. very slow.
I had it high and it didn't like it.
Had it for a while in my frag tank as I still run LED's on there and it seems to like LED's better, as it is the only SPS in my DT under T5's that ain't happy right now.
With dimmed Blue lights from my LED's only after all T5's bulbs are off as I run the ATI powermodule 8 bulb with 4 LED's clusters you can see the true colors as in many pics from Mike Biggar.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This piece has taken almost as much heat as the RR avengers lol.

But its a nice piece and I too will get a frag eventually *cough* @slojmn *cough*

Lol

Hehehehehe, of course!!!

Mine has a little color, it got pretty bleached out in my tank woes but thrived through it all. Seems like a hardy sucker. If I hadn't gotten the exact piece from Mike that I saw a picture of under his lighting in his tank I would never believe mine was the original Walt Disney!! Now it is starting to color up, finally, still pretty tannish though. In another few months it should start to get some nice colors going on. He told me it does best under the blues. I run a pretty white LED light setup in the tank I have it in so it will be interesting to see in time how it adapts. I plan to throw a frag in my main display when it gets a bit bigger and I can get a branch and see how it does under MH/T5/LED. Mike says it will look better with the LED's in more blue range. I got no pictures, I know......I suck.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back