OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a couple more shots from new additions yesterday. Side shots instead of top down.

Shazam seems to be settling down and polyps are coming out. Still looks a bit beat up but I think all will be well.

DSC03328-imp.jpg

RR Canada Shazam

DSC03332-imp.jpg

RR Canada Pink Cadillac

DSC03335-imp.jpg

RR Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

Also Jay gave me this random piece. I was asking him about RR USA's D-Day and he suggested I take a piece of this to see if I can color it up. It seems to be same species and similar to D-Day but he's not sure if it is. Time will tell, looks like it could be a cool coral and potentially a future signature.

DSC03327-imp.jpg

RR Canada Unnamed?

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great collection and display of the same. This is a fun thread to watch. Following!

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon. Pretty happy with how this is shaping up. I am starting to see upwards growth on many of these frags as well. It is slow and steady but its there.

It is really quite interesting starting a reef with only frags and getting many of them close to each other in timing. I know many people do not like the whole tiny frag aspect of coral collecting, but this approach is much more like planting a garden rather then hiring a landscaper and filling a yard.

To each his own, but as I have started and taken down several reefs over the years the patience game and watching things grow is the fun part now.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon. Pretty happy with how this is shaping up. I am starting to see upwards growth on many of these frags as well. It is slow and steady but its there.

It is really quite interesting starting a reef with only frags and getting many of them close to each other in timing. I know many people do not like the whole tiny frag aspect of coral collecting, but this approach is much more like planting a garden rather then hiring a landscaper and filling a yard.

To each his own, but as I have started and taken down several reefs over the years the patience game and watching things grow is the fun part now.

I prefer Frags over colonies. You get to watch them grow and you can control their growth. But buying colonies does have the benefit of the occasional acro crabs.

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding the actinic bulbs and and lowering PAR a bit as a result, colors are getting even better.

Here are some photos with 1x ATI Blue+ and 1x ATI Actinic which is what I am running as my "sunrise/sunset" combo.

Wolverine is finally getting a blueish sheen on the tissue to compliment the yellow.
Wolverine-imp.jpg

Also this Mariculture Mille is quickly turning into something pretty awesome.
Mille-imp.jpg

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey AJ, so based on your new bulb combo, what would you suggest for a 6 bulb fixture? And what you recommend as far as height above the water for an 18" deep tank.

OP
OP
AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your acros seem to be responding good to the change in bulbs.

Seems like it, except I broke a cardinal rule and also began feeding more recently, so its unclear wether its the lighting or food or both. Plan is to leave things as is for a month see if colours peak with this configuration and amount of food, if and when they do I will begin lowering the light again and see if it makes a difference.

Hey AJ, so based on your new bulb combo, what would you suggest for a 6 bulb fixture? And what you recommend as far as height above the water for an 18" deep tank.

Its hard to say. I like the 20K look I have and it will help with color but likely slow down growth a bit. If you wanted something comparable to what I am running I would go 4 Blue+ 1 Purple + and 1 Actinic.

I have no idea what to recommend for height, I run ULNS so it is significantly easier to burn corals when the nutrients are very low. I would start with maybe 15" and raise or lower accordingly.

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome aqua scape and amazing corals! I love T5 tanks. I'm going to enjoy watching the progression of your tank!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back