Want a small reef

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add a sump, it was a very expensive option but for me I won't be having a large system any time soon so I wanted something long lasting and stable. I have a lifereef sump and skimmer. Tunze skimmers would be an excellent replacement and not overly expensive.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but a 20g AIO is out of room with 2 corals pretty much, and he has a 200g FOWLR that's not a reef. Big differences.

WHat if he decides 8 months down the road he wants SPS? While SPS can be done in a small tank, you typically garner better results with serious equipment. PC lights and a micro skimmer won't get you the best results.

From my experience -- You go small, you buy twice. I did the 12g biocube. THen I did the 29 biocube. Then I did the radions and T5's and high end skimmer and finally realized I was kidding myself, and got a real tank.

Now, if he wants to keep zoa's and other super, super simple stuff.. I would say to put that in his predator tank. They'll grow fine in anything more properly setup than a toilet. But if he wants to get into serious coral (which usually happens eventually) he's just gonna buy a whole new system a year or two down the road.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but aren't there hundreds of nano-reefs on here? Are you saying those people aren't having a good time?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but aren't there hundreds of nano-reefs on here? Are you saying those people aren't having a good time?

I had nano reefs since 2003 -- There's a reason I don't any longer. I wanted better stuff, more stable parameters, and most importantly -- I realized the gear to run a 20g is the SAME gear you need to run a larger system.

My 29g biocube may not have been a big tank, but I still spent $600 on a radion for it, because I wanted that caliber of results.

I spent $200 on a hokey AquaMaxx Hob-1, that was okay at best.. I had waaay better results with a junky in sump skimmer than a top of the line hob skimmer.

Gear isn't the only piece of the puzzle. But people who aspire to keep $1000 corals don't typically house them in nano-reefs.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides; Most people still consider a 40g breeder a tiny tank and it falls within the "nano range"

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29g biocube may not have been a big tank, but I still spent $600 on a radion for it, because I wanted that caliber of results.

That's something I want to avoid as well. The Red Sea comes with a good light and timer so I should not have to replace it.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not this guy, lol. I am heart broken losing a $30 fish. I'm not buying gem tangs

So long as you don't get seduced by fancy corals! I always advise everyone to just step up size in anticipation of future desires. But if you're absolutely sure of what you want (or even, don't want) then you sound like you found what you want.

I will say again though. If you put a couple photosynthetic gorgonians, and some basic cheapy zoanthids and paly's in your FOWLR tank I think you'd be pretty stoked by the results. Those corals require almost zero maintenance and the cheapy basic lights will give them enough to thrive.

Just food for thought!

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you don't get seduced by fancy corals! I always advise everyone to just step up size in anticipation of future desires. But if you're absolutely sure of what you want (or even, don't want) then you sound like you found what you want.

I will say again though. If you put a couple photosynthetic gorgonians, and some basic cheapy zoanthids and paly's in your FOWLR tank I think you'd be pretty stoked by the results. Those corals require almost zero maintenance and the cheapy basic lights will give them enough to thrive.

Just food for thought!
I'm on my third Fowler tank. I started with a 75 and I loved my puffer so I bought him 2 more homes because he kept growing.

With a coral I can cut it off and trade it,. Ideally.

I do have some physical room space constraints

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My response probably isn’t typical but I have both. I have a 32 biocube. And a 6ft long tank. My fav is the BC. I love the complete look with the lid and curved glass corners. It’s stocked with only 2 clowns 1 chromis and 1 purple fire fish. I have many different colorful corals and I nem that’s split once already and supplied my 6ft tank with a free nem.

I purchased my 6ft tank because I wanted some fish that I couldn’t put in the BC but yet I still spend most of my time looking at the cube and it’s my fav. The less volume requires less work in my opinion contrary to what most say. I spend about 1hr a week on maintenance that’s it(besides feeding the fish obviously)

Only thing I will say is the biocube stock lights suck. So you’ll need to spend the money on an upgrade kit if you go that route. I got Steve’s LEDs and couldn’t be happier.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 29G and couple of pico. I am happy with it, but I wont recommend getting them. Go for IM or red sea. Probably IM Nuvo.. dont go for 40G , stick to 30G or less, since you prefer smaller size. I had to get rid of the hood, upgrade lighting, get media basket etc.. hence I am recommending IM. With redsea you'll get some good equipment but with IM you get to choose them.
I'll recommend getting an IM nuvo tank, a Kessil A360, an mp10 and a tunze skimmer, You are set for anything .. including some of the fancy sps like mili or acros.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My response probably isn’t typical but I have both. I have a 32 biocube. And a 6ft long tank. My fav is the BC. I love the complete look with the lid and curved glass corners. It’s stocked with only 2 clowns 1 chromis and 1 purple fire fish. I have many different colorful corals and I nem that’s split once already and supplied my 6ft tank with a free nem.

I purchased my 6ft tank because I wanted some fish that I couldn’t put in the BC but yet I still spend most of my time looking at the cube and it’s my fav. The less volume requires less work in my opinion contrary to what most say. I spend about 1hr a week on maintenance that’s it(besides feeding the fish obviously)

Only thing I will say is the biocube stock lights suck. So you’ll need to spend the money on an upgrade kit if you go that route. I got Steve’s LEDs and couldn’t be happier.
Stock light sucks, back chamber had to be trimmed to fit media basket. Media basket also needs to be purchased separately. I would have get rid of the rims as well if i knew what I was doing when I started it :)
Overall I think they are pretty good, but IM nuvo has the form factor at cheaper price point, and the money can be spent on lighting, power head etc.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock light sucks, back chamber had to be trimmed to fit media basket. Media basket also needs to be purchased separately. I would have get rid of the rims as well if i knew what I was doing when I started it :)
Overall I think they are pretty good, but IM nuvo has the form factor at cheaper price point, and the money can be spent on lighting, power head etc.
Which product are you referring to?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which product are you referring to?

PC lighting is also (seriously) garbage. It will do the bare essentials for corals to survive, but it's nowhere near ideal. It may *work*, but nobody in this hobby looks at their tank and says "Man, I'm so glad everything is barely trudging along at the bare minimum".

PC lighting is like filtering your 200g FOWLR with an AquaClear 110 and saying it's perfect.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally went with a Red Sea Nano, 21 gallons up and 7 in the sump. Right now the tank is down and I am seriously considering a 24" x 24" x 26" cube from Reef Savy which will give me a true 60 gallons in the tank and depending on the sump another 21 to 24 gallons.

Go as BIG as you can afford, my issue is space not cost and the Red Sea Nano was a mistake only because it is too small.

The Red Sea 130 is basically nice but the hood becomes a problen with heat dispersion so I would generally shy away from it for that reason.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last weekend I got a used Red Sea 130D. It came with an upgraded skimmer, media basket, and return pump. I already replaced the lighting. It needs some TLC, but it was as steal at $200.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rsm-130d-light-panel-and-scratches.335637/

tank.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome deal, can't wait to see it come together !

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e39a79a943e738534caef54006f2c120.jpg

Ok, so this happened. While I was shopping for the last tank, I had seen this one. After trying to get the scratches out of the other tank, I found this "NIB" C-130. I know myself and I would not be able to deal with the scratches, so I made a deal with the guy for $600. When I was unpacking it at his house to check it out, I found that the tank had a crack in it.

After some back and forth, I bought everything for $100, then I bought a bare tank for $375! So I got a completely new setup for $475.

I have a long weekend so I am planning on getting this started.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back