Scored a nano setup for $100

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have kept various high tech planted freshwater aquariums over the last 15 years or so but have never had a marine setup. I’ve always loved them but figured it wasn’t “attainable” as I was always sort of broke in my younger years. I’ve always been incredibly interested in saltwater and have researched and watched hundreds of hours of reefing videos over the last 10 years. I wouldn’t consider myself a beginner in the fishkeeping world by any means, but this *is* my first saltwater setup.

I was sifting through aquarium supplies on fb marketplace (mainly in search of freshwater supplies I could snag for cheap) and actually came across a complete nano saltwater setup for just $100. I was truly suspicious being that this price point is far far below what I’d expect to see a setup to go for. But, it was setup in an office and the owner quit and literally abandoned the tank! The company hired another staff member and needed the space, so they priced it to sell! Unfortunately I wasn’t the first person to express interest. But just to my luck, the first person no showed and I raced down there to pick it up!

Setup is as follows:

-8 gallon AIO
-Small protein skimmer that came with AIO (it’s crap)
-crappy led light that came with AIO
-reef crystals salt
-sand & rock
-small return pump
-two heaters
-tiny hygger wave maker
-hydrometer
-carbon, sponges and some kind of ceramic filter rings

Stock:
-2 black and white clownfish
-1 hermit and one regular crab guy

Upgrades I’ve ordered:

-kessil nano tuna blue & gooseneck
-nano return pump (110 gph)
-test kit (Hanna checkers for alkalinity, ultra low phosphate, salinity)
-ph tester
-Red Sea calcium pro test
-af magnesium test
-nitrate refer kit
-miniQ nano internal protein skimmer
-coralline algae juice
-WiFi dosing pump
-all for reef
-prime conditioner
- microbacter 7
-tank leveling mat
-various jugs, funnels, tubing
-diy ato (gravity)

First order of operation is to get rid of the layers of detritus (diatom algae?? Not even sure. Like I said I’m used to algae). I don’t know how long the setup has been running nor do I know what any of the levels in the tank are as I only have freshwater test kits. Ammonia is testing at 0 or very near 0.

My question is, if you scored this setup what would YOU do?? Need ideas! Would love to know what choice of corals would be suitable for such a small nano. Willing to go fish only, softie, lps (I like hammers), or sps for a challenge.

Also really pleased to see there’s a alkalinity solution that doesn’t involve two part or kalkwasser, seems like a pretty big breakthrough to the industry (I ordered the all for reef and am excited to try it especially if I’m going to try and stony corals). My goal is to create a stable tank (I like the challenge and meticulous tinkering involved in a nano setup).

I’m super excited to experience the dazzling world of saltwater aquariums! I have always wanted clowns so this is a joy.

Let me know your thoughts!

Charlie

IMG_6437.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back