Want Something New? Try Something Old!

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by dvbrien, Feb 3, 2018.

1. dvbrien

dvbrien Active Member

I wonder if these will ever make a comeback... Not the company, but styles. With the high powered low cost Ac or Dc pumps, (that aren't breaking the bank anymore; buying online or on your electric bill...) I wonder if the effeciancy and or performance wouldn't exceed a whole lot of other skimmers right now, and what price point would you see newer models be competitive. I'm betting you'd have to pay $800 to get something current that would be equivalent to these old beasts. Mrc Mr2 as well. I see downdraft skimmers selling so cheap... With so much old potential with new pump advancements...

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/11/ae-tech-maker-famous-etss-skimmer-business/

Tags:

2. bif24701

bif24701 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I had a small version of an ETSS downdraft skimmer. It worked great. However now that I have a DC powered needle wheel cone body skimmer, bubbles are bubbles and I judge almost every skimmer by one thing: the pump. The pump is what makes or literally breaks a skimmer and all that matters to me.

3. dvbrien

dvbrien Active Member

To your point this is exactly why I brought this up... Having an ability to change pumps for this type if skimmer is what makes them more valuable to me. You aren't stuck buying a proprietary skimmer pump for a specific model skimmer.

Pivitol likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted