Want Something New? Try Something Old!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dvbrien
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dvbrien

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2016
Messages
396
Reaction score
217
Location
Rockford
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if these will ever make a comeback... Not the company, but styles. With the high powered low cost Ac or Dc pumps, (that aren't breaking the bank anymore; buying online or on your electric bill...) I wonder if the effeciancy and or performance wouldn't exceed a whole lot of other skimmers right now, and what price point would you see newer models be competitive. I'm betting you'd have to pay $800 to get something current that would be equivalent to these old beasts. Mrc Mr2 as well. I see downdraft skimmers selling so cheap... With so much old potential with new pump advancements...

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/11/ae-tech-maker-famous-etss-skimmer-business/
 
I had a small version of an ETSS downdraft skimmer. It worked great. However now that I have a DC powered needle wheel cone body skimmer, bubbles are bubbles and I judge almost every skimmer by one thing: the pump. The pump is what makes or literally breaks a skimmer and all that matters to me.
 
To your point this is exactly why I brought this up... Having an ability to change pumps for this type if skimmer is what makes them more valuable to me. You aren't stuck buying a proprietary skimmer pump for a specific model skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new