Want to add a new wrasse

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add one more wrasse to my tank, and I’m looking at some of the pricier options and will likely buy one prequarantined. I currently have 3 very peaceful wrasses - pintail fairy, carpenters flasher, yellow “coris”.

I’ve looked at the fairy wrasse compatibility chart but then I hear people say that certain wrasses I’ve been looking at are bully’s to other fairies.

The options I’m looking at are:
Labouti
8-line flasher
Lineatus
Hooded
Flame
Rhomboid

Open to other options as well! Because my others are so peaceful, I don’t want to mess up the dynamic with one that is either so docile it’s bullied, or constantly stressing the others out with chasing. Thoughts?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add one more wrasse to my tank, and I’m looking at some of the pricier options and will likely buy one prequarantined. I currently have 3 very peaceful wrasses - pintail fairy, carpenters flasher, yellow “coris”.

I’ve looked at the fairy wrasse compatibility chart but then I hear people say that certain wrasses I’ve been looking at are bully’s to other fairies.

Labouti
8-line flasher
Lineatus
Hooded
Flame
Rhomboid

Open to other options as well! Because my others are so peaceful, I don’t want to mess up the dynamic with one that is either so docile it’s bullied, or constantly stressing the others out with chasing. Thoughts?
What size tank?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Labouti
8-line flasher
Lineatus
Hooded
Flame
Rhomboid

They all seem to be good candidates if your tank is big enough.
Let’s get some more eyes on your list
@saltyhog @SaltyT whats you opinions

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree. If you have at least a 90 gallon display and introduce with an acclimation box, most are good options on your list. But no promises; all fish have unique dispositions. :)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes acclimation box is a great tool and when adding wrasse to established wrasse it can help by adding more then one

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes acclimation box is a great tool and when adding wrasse to established wrasse it can help by adding more then one
I had a pintail and red lined wrasse in my established 120 and added an orange back and exquisite fairy at the same time with no acclimation box. Only reason I risked it was I added two at one time. The pintail did chase a little bit, but only for a couple days. No damage or anything and they were all eating well.

If I could go back in time I would have used the acclimation box even adding two at once...

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pintail and red lined wrasse in my established 120 and added an orange back and exquisite fairy at the same time with no acclimation box. Only reason I risked it was I added two at one time. The pintail did chase a little bit, but only for a couple days. No damage or anything and they were all eating well.

If I could go back in time I would have used the acclimation box even adding two at once...
I mostly use the box to let the new fish get comfortable. I will put new wrasse in a 20 gallon for a couple weeks then the acclimation box for a few hours or next day. Open the door and let them leave when ready. Some Leave and comeback to the box for a few hours until they get comfortable.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! It’s a 120g and I do have a large acclimation box I can use. Have heard the 8 line and labouti can be a little questionable.. and have heard rhomboids are easily bullied but not sure how true that is.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, any of these should be fine if your tank is appropriately sized. I have kept or presently have all of these without any of them being a problem. I do have a bunch of wrasses though.

Of these, Rhomboids/Isoscoles seem to be very peaceful and Lineatus/Labout's being more bold.

I would definitely use an acclimation box. I would also use caution if adding a big 8 line flasher as they can be a bossy with a single other flasher in the tank. (Other nice flashers are Yellow FIn, Linespot and Royal flashers.).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! It’s a 120g and I do have a large acclimation box I can use. Have heard the 8 line and labouti can be a little questionable.. and have heard rhomboids are easily bullied but not sure how true that is.
8 line can be a little more aggressive I been told. I neoliberals it’s a bigger flasher wrasse to. Being they are the new fish I should be ok but as you know with fish it’s always a chance

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back