Looking for help with wrasses selection

650Bob08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions on fairy wrasses I might add to my DT. The tank is 9x36x38 and currently houses the following wrasses:

Halichoeres

Melanurus
Yellow Coris
Earmuff
Radiant (currently in QT)

Cirrhilabrus
Orange Back
Exquisite
Lineatus
Labouti
Naoki
Rosy Scaled
splendid pintail

Anampses
China Wrasse

I really like the Solar wrasse and Blue throat wrasses, but am concerned about high levels of aggression in my wrasse community. Flashers are also potentially interesting, but at this point the community may be too boisterous for them to settle in. Other tank residents include an assortment of tangs, Genicanthus angelfish, Gold flake and Majestic angels, Pyramid butterflyfish and (5) engineer gobies. The tank is currently a FOWLR system, but hoping to start adding some easy corals next year.

Thanks for your advice on Fairy wrasses I might add. I really enjoy the ones I have, and while there is an occasional dispute, overall they get along.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions on fairy wrasses I might add to my DT. The tank is 9x36x38 and currently houses the following wrasses:

Halichoeres

Melanurus
Yellow Coris
Earmuff

Cirrhilabrus
Orange Back
Exquisite
Lineatus
Labouti
Naoki
Rosy Scaled
splendid pintail

Anampses
China Wrasse

I really like the Solar wrasse and Blue throat wrasses, but am concerned about high levels of aggression in my wrasse community. Flashers are also potentially interesting, but at this point the community may be too boisterous for them to settle in. Other tank residents include an assortment of tangs, Genicanthus angelfish, Gold flake and Majestic angels, Pyramid butterflyfish and (5) engineer gobies. The tank is currently a FOWLR system, but hoping to start adding some easy corals next year.

Thanks for your advice on Fairy wrasses I might add. I really enjoy the ones I have, and while there is an occasional dispute, overall they get along.
Drop the Pintail, that guy will go in and wither away due to too much activity - these guys need to be in first with a calm environment otherwise they don’t do well.
The Lineatus and Laboutei will bring some aggression but in the size tank it should be minimal. All the others seem to be alright - I’d personally add a couple more wrasses (A couple other Anampses and a few Macropharyngodon species among other Cirrhilabrus species).

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think my reading was that OP already has the pintail (and other wrasses listed). Which of the other fairies would go with his current stock?

It looks like OP doesn't have faires in Lubbocki, Bathyphilus, Scottorum, Temminickii and Filamentosus complexes.

If it were me, I'd probably add a Lubbocki (adornatis, flavidorsalis or lubbocki) and a Temminickii like a Finespot (C. punctatus).

@i cant think would a Bathyphilus be problematic introduced to an already established ribrisquamis? Would a scottorum work in a tank that size or just pick off everyone one by one? OP says they like solorensis but currently has an aurantidorsalis--problem?

I second idea of adding leopards to the mix. Some flashers in a tank that size would also make for some excellent displays!

OP
OP

650Bob08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think my reading was that OP already has the pintail (and other wrasses listed). Which of the other fairies would go with his current stock?

It looks like OP doesn't have faires in Lubbocki, Bathyphilus, Scottorum, Temminickii and Filamentosus complexes.

If it were me, I'd probably add a Lubbocki (adornatis, flavidorsalis or lubbocki) and a Temminickii like a Finespot (C. punctatus).

@i cant think would a Bathyphilus be problematic introduced to an already established ribrisquamis? Would a scottorum work in a tank that size or just pick off everyone one by one? OP says they like solorensis but currently has an aurantidorsalis--problem?

I second idea of adding leopards to the mix. Some flashers in a tank that size would also make for some excellent displays!
Thanks for the feedback! To confirm, the list I provided are the current residents and thankfully they are getting along fine (even the pintail who is out constantly) outside of the occasional scrap. I've been trying to follow the compatablity chart posted by The Wrasse Guy and so far so good. The Scott's wrasse I've had before and they can be a bit much (big and aggressive), but I am debating on a blue thoated Wrasse (Filamentosus Complex). I know the Solar would likely be a complete gamble, but may try a female to begin with and see if the Orange back ignores her. The Bthyphilius are beautiful, but I haven't found one locally or a dealer I trust enough to ship to me. Regarding the flashers, is it too late to add them given this establish group of Fairy Wrasses? If I do add them are there articles out there on how to do it successfully? I generally QT and copper treat all my live stock before they go in the DT, but I know that can be tough on wrasses.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glanced at you stock list. You have more aggressive wrasse. Anding to them might be hard. You don’t want to add a more peaceful fairy or flasher.
If you do just be ready to catch ones that are a problem.

Also if you try add them at same time in groups. Spreads out initial stress.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first…
IMG_0382.jpeg

Now for the suggestions. All the reasonable suggestions have already been made so let’s go for the unreasonable.
  1. Another tamarin may work. I’d suggest a yellowtail or one of the other similar species as they are easier.
  2. A cleaner wrasse. Preferably captive bred
  3. A hogfish or tuskfish.
  4. A real coris wrasse like the red in the meme above. So far for me they have been quite peaceful for a big wrasse.
  5. A seagrass wrasse or less reasonably a dragon. Best personality in the hobby even if that personality is potentially evil.
  6. A quoyi parrotish?

OP
OP

650Bob08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glanced at you stock list. You have more aggressive wrasse. Anding to them might be hard. You don’t want to add a more peaceful fairy or flasher.
If you do just be ready to catch ones that are a problem.

Also if you try add them at same time in groups. Spreads out initial stress.
I’m sort of new-ish to fairy wrasses, so didn’t realize these were particularly aggressive. My rule of thumb has always been to place multiple fish at a time. Solo fish are often doomed.

OP
OP

650Bob08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first…
IMG_0382.jpeg

Now for the suggestions. All the reasonable suggestions have already been made so let’s go for the unreasonable.
  1. Another tamarin may work. I’d suggest a yellowtail or one of the other similar species as they are easier.
  2. A cleaner wrasse. Preferably captive bred
  3. A hogfish or tuskfish.
  4. A real coris wrasse like the red in the meme above. So far for me they have been quite peaceful for a big wrasse.
  5. A seagrass wrasse or less reasonably a dragon. Best personality in the hobby even if that personality is potentially evil.
  6. A quoyi parrotish?
some interesting suggestions here!
I have kept Coris Giamard several times over the years. I just wasn’t sure if he would grow up yo cause trouble the fairy wrasses. I love dragons too, but I know all too well their aggressive demeanor as adults. I do have a CB Tusk just out of QT, but he needs to grow another inch or so before going in the DT.

You’ve given me some things to consider. I may just take pause for a while and see how the current group develops.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting point. Once they turn male, does the warfare begin?
I wouldn’t say once male warfare begins. Adding males to males the chance of fights is greater. If they are females and transition they have a better chance. Some will always be jerks and some will not. Keeping aggression more equal they tend to behave.
Like mixing tangs but tangs can slice up fish were wrasse tend to stress out others and or little nibbles

Others here have great options and are good with wrasse also.

I would vote a quoyi parrotish on a fish only too. They are cool fish

OP
OP

650Bob08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say once male warfare begins. Adding males to males the chance of fights is greater. If they are females and transition they have a better chance. Some will always be jerks and some will not. Keeping aggression more equal they tend to behave.
Like mixing tangs but tangs can slice up fish were wrasse tend to stress out others and or little nibbles

Others here have great options and are good with wrasse also.

I would vote a quoyi parrotish on a fish only too. They are cool fish
Thanks for the further insight. I'd love the Qoyi parrot, but concerned he’ll mar the walls of my acrylic tank or is that an exaggerated risk?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the further insight. I'd love the Qoyi parrot, but concerned he’ll mar the walls of my acrylic tank or is that an exaggerated risk?
I wouldn’t worry about that risk, more so the risk of him using corals for food and munching through acros.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_4361.png
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_8198.jpeg
P attenuatus2020051603.jpeg
IMG_7256.png
IMG_7094.jpeg
IMG_6828.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_6578.jpeg
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_4168.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_2155.jpeg
IMG_1584.jpeg
IMG_9935.jpeg
IMG_9934.jpeg
IMG_7993.png
IMG_6964.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg
Assuming your tank is 9 feetX38X38 inches.
There are a numbers of beautiful wrasses you can keep. At that size you can add everything (within reason) give them enough food and they will be fine together.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Halichoeres

Melanurus
Yellow Coris
Earmuff

Cirrhilabrus
Orange Back
Exquisite
Lineatus
Labouti
Naoki
Rosy Scaled
splendid pintail

Anampses
China Wrasse

You need not worry. My tank is only 2/3 the size of your's. Same H and D but only 6 feet. I keep all of the wrasses above except Earmuff and Lineatus. They all did well. I even keep pairs and harems of the wrasse without problem. Feed them well and keep water quality high and they will thrive

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need not worry. My tank is only 2/3 the size of your's. Same H and D but only 6 feet. I keep all of the wrasses above except Earmuff and Lineatus. They all did well. I even keep pairs and harems of the wrasse without problem. Feed them well and keep water quality high and they will thrive
Every time I see your tank it always appears larger than 6 feet, what’s your secret

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back