Want to get into dosing. Hand vs automatic vs reactors?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the Jebao for little over a year, do a random test from time to time to make sure my pump is dosing accurately and to this day hasn’t had any issues, and is still dosing accurately, it also has a internal battery Incase power outage, what does kinda scare me is if the pump were to get stuck on it will dose for 30mins before turning off. I’m personally thinking getting a WiFi pump to monitor dosing to make sure this doesn’t happen. Since 30 minutes on would be a nightmare with ati being concentrate
Thata my fear with the jebao. I'm gunna see what my buddy has for a price on the bubble Magnus first.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thata my fear with the jebao. I'm gunna see what my buddy has for a price on the bubble Magnus first.
I’ve had the Jebao for little over a year, do a random test from time to time to make sure my pump is dosing accurately and to this day hasn’t had any issues, and is still dosing accurately, it also has a internal battery Incase power outage, what does kinda scare me is if the pump were to get stuck on it will dose for 30mins before turning off. I’m personally thinking getting a WiFi pump to monitor dosing to make sure this doesn’t happen. Since 30 minutes on would be a nightmare with ati being concentrate

I think they recommend diluting the stock solution so that a ‘pump on’ failure doesn’t dump so much in. If you dilute it to 1x (comes as 5x stock) then reduce the dosing speed (possible on the dp4?) so that each dose takes 25 minute to add to the tank, if it’s sticks on and shuts off at 30, then that’s only 20% overdosed. Instead of like 30x

Sit: just checked the instructions for the Dp4. Eek. Since you can’t change dosing speed, and I don’t have a space to dilute my solutions to 30 gallons each, I think I’ll need a different solution, unless someone has a suggestion for reducing the auto cut off

Last edited:
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they recommend diluting the stock solution so that a ‘pump on’ failure doesn’t dump so much in. If you dilute it to 1x (comes as 5x stock) then reduce the dosing speed (possible on the dp4?) so that each dose takes 25 minute to add to the tank, if it’s sticks on and shuts off at 30, then that’s only 20% overdosed. Instead of like 30x

Sit: just checked the instructions for the Dp4. Eek. Since you can’t change dosing speed, and I don’t have a space to dilute my solutions to 30 gallons each, I think I’ll need a different solution, unless someone has a suggestion for reducing the auto cut off
Thats my fear too. What would be the recommendation on a dosing pump other than the Jebao then? Is it worth dropping the cash on a Bubble Magnus.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The middle section is what I have room for for dosing containers

IMG_20191111_200819.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats some nice space! I use the glass voss bottles for my containers, also using the mur-lok push connect bulkheads from brs with them.
That one bottle there is 2 gallons. is that too big? Considering going back to walmart to get some smaller food grade bottles and get the push connect bulkheads and such from BRS. I was going to do Aquaforest 123, so ill essentially need to make room for 3, and 4 eventually if i add in any other stuff line nopox or something. The sump has the integrated stuff for the acrylic rods on it to push the dosing below the water level, and make it all wire up clean.

Thoughts?

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my ignorance or maybe I missed it, how much are you willing to budget for dosing exclusively?

Hand dosing vs auto dosers comes down to budget and convenience. If your work schedule is hectic and erratic, I would suggest auto dosers. Yes, they are more costly up front, but think of the end game. Your corals will be healthier and happier with less risk of over dosing. After all, what's $250 when you made your $3k in corals look spectacular and little risk of loss?

I highly suggest auto. Nowadays, you can buy dosers for under $100 like Jebao DP-4 and some Voss glass bottles (drill their caps) as containers for the frugal reefer. All and all under $200.

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one bottle there is 2 gallons. is that too big? Considering going back to walmart to get some smaller food grade bottles and get the push connect bulkheads and such from BRS. I was going to do Aquaforest 123, so ill essentially need to make room for 3, and 4 eventually if i add in any other stuff line nopox or something. The sump has the integrated stuff for the acrylic rods on it to push the dosing below the water level, and make it all wire up clean.

Thoughts?
Brs sells a space saver jug 1g you can easily fit 4 and still have space using those guys.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my ignorance or maybe I missed it, how much are you willing to budget for dosing exclusively?

Hand dosing vs auto dosers comes down to budget and convenience. If your work schedule is hectic and erratic, I would suggest auto dosers. Yes, they are more costly up front, but think of the end game. Your corals will be healthier and happier with less risk of over dosing. After all, what's $250 when you made your $3k in corals look spectacular and little risk of loss?

I highly suggest auto. Nowadays, you can buy dosers for under $100 like Jebao DP-4 and some Voss glass bottles (drill their caps) as containers for the frugal reefer. All and all under $200.
I want an auto dosing pump, as with schedule its worth it. Ive had jebao gear in the past. my return pump is still jebao, but i have extras on the shelf to get by if it dies. I dont want to do that with a doser. The budget is really whatever at this point. ive got some older stuff to sell. if i can do that, then the budget can be the 250. My buddy may have a Bubble Magnus t-11 new in box, i can likely get a deal on, i just need to look into it.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't 1 gallon a little overkill for a tank his size? Honestly would just buy glass Voss bottles and drill a hole in the twist on caps an use that.

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't 1 gallon a little overkill for a tank his size? Honestly would just buy glass Voss bottles and drill a hole in the twist on caps an use that.
Thats what I personally use, I use the 800ml glass voss bottles on a 40g. lasts me a while but im only dosing 10ml of ATI essentials pro.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 72, so i figured a half gallon or less would be fine. i intend to have as many corals as i can in this one, but mostly LPS, with a choice few SPS that are cool and super colorful. How long do you think, once fully stocked would i get off a half gallon of each? Say a month?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back