Want to Help?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody!

I am having some trouble picking out my stocking list. So far it's looking like this:

2 Clowns (already have)
5 Blue Green Chromis
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Yellow Tang

Any more suggestions? Right now it's a FOWLR but I eventually want to make it a reef. It's 55 gallons.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a dwarf angel like a coral beauty, flame angel, or bicolor. Maybe goby or wrasse??
What inverts are you planning?
What a fun time building out your stocking list!!!

OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a dwarf angel like a coral beauty, flame angel, or bicolor. Maybe goby or wrasse??
What inverts are you planning?
What a fun time building out your stocking list!!!
I've heard the angels are not reef safe. Is this true? I'm looking for bright fish that vary in colors and shapes. Haven't planned any inverts yet. Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everybody!

I am having some trouble picking out my stocking list. So far it's looking like this:

2 Clowns (already have)
5 Blue Green Chromis
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Yellow Tang

Any more suggestions? Right now it's a FOWLR but I eventually want to make it a reef. It's 55 gallons.
What is age of tank?
Was tank cycled or still in process?

The list posted is not bad. Perhaps start with them and you will have an idea based on behavior/aggression what you will want next.
Order of stocking:

5 Blue Green Chromis - 1 although clowns may pose an aggression issue
1 Royal Gramma - 3
1 Flame Hawkfish - can be aggressive and will eat all ornamental shrimp
1 Yellow Tang - 2

OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The age? That's a tricky question. I've had the tank for 4 months but I bought it used. No idea how long the owner before me had it. It is cycled though. I know that Tangs can be territorial but I could add more fish afterwards? Also, is there another redish fish that you would do instead of the Flame Hawkfish or a different type of Hawkfish?

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the reading I have done the dwarf angels are reef safe "with caution". I've read posts from people who have never had a problem and others who said they may nip time to time at the corals. They spend a lot of time foraging the live rock, my bicolor definitely does this all day long. I don't have coral but will be adding some which is why I researched them. The bicolor is brightly colored and is a ball of energy, very fun to watch in the tank!

OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the reading I have done the dwarf angels are reef safe "with caution". I've read posts from people who have never had a problem and others who said they may nip time to time at the corals. They spend a lot of time foraging the live rock, my bicolor definitely does this all day long. I don't have coral but will be adding some which is why I researched them. The bicolor is brightly colored and is a ball of energy, very fun to watch in the tank!
Ok! I will definitely consider adding a bicolor! Also, I really like Butterflyfish. Would one of these work in my tank with the current stock list? I was thinking a Perlscale Butterflyfish.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterfly fish can be hard to keep, you really need an established, stable tank and it can be hard to get them to start eating. I don't think it would do well with the clowns either, butterfly fish are pretty shy and clowns can be a real bully in the tank!
For sure follow vetteguy's recommendation on when to add the fish, he's always spot on. Just take it slow and let the tank mature and the fish settle in as you add them. I'm really bad at that part.....so hard to do ;)

Back