Want to keep anemones!

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max Nano that I’ll have 2 black snowflake clowns and a possum wrasse in. I want to keep anemones, but of course I want to do my research. I won’t be getting them for awhile but I want to get a little info. What kind of anemones are good for this tank size and how many can I keep? What kinds will the clowns possibly host? Will keeping the possum wrasse be a problem? Any other advice helps!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For that sized tank, I'd recommend a bubble-tip anemone as host for the clown. Are you planning to have any corals in there? If so, I'd stick with just one bta. You could also have rock flower anemones, but those won't serve as hosts.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Daniel@R2R, a bubble tip may attract the attention from your clowns. Other anemones get too large for that tank. Even the bubble tip might split and you could have a tank-full before long :) which is ok if you don't want other corals.
Shop around and get a color morph you like. Lots of places to rehome splits especially if you have a rarer specimen.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that sized tank, I'd recommend a bubble-tip anemone as host for the clown. Are you planning to have any corals in there? If so, I'd stick with just one bta. You could also have rock flower anemones, but those won't serve as hosts.
I agree with @Daniel@R2R, a bubble tip may attract the attention from your clowns. Other anemones get too large for that tank. Even the bubble tip might split and you could have a tank-full before long :) which is ok if you don't want other corals.
Shop around and get a color morph you like. Lots of places to rehome splits especially if you have a rarer specimen.
I don’t want any other corals, so multiple would be just fine with me! I’ve accepted the fact that having corals and anemones is just a huge risk, especially in a tank that small. Will having a bunch of bubble tips close to each other be a problem?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want any other corals, so multiple would be just fine with me! I’ve accepted the fact that having corals and anemones is just a huge risk, especially in a tank that small. Will having a bunch of bubble tips close to each other be a problem?
There is a repeat reported observation that “wild” and “cultured” anemones will not thrive in the same tank together. I don’t think this has been scientifically demonstrated, or the cause (disease carrying, or disease immunity, chemical warfare, or ?) has been demonstrated. I would get one and let it fill the tank with clones as these do not fight against each other except for space.
Adding two from different suppliers is suspected to sometimes be problematic.

With a nano I would highly recommend 1 and not two. Just my opinion, I’m certain others have had multiple in small tanks and not lost any anemones doing this. I believe it is a risk fyiw.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 BTAs and a Mini Maxi Carpet in my Max Nano...... was 2 carpets, but one didn’t settle in, and floated around and my BTA ate it..... almost killed the whole tank in the process.

C004BFAB-E30F-4D41-9EF0-C82537F45498.jpeg
61048838-A0CF-459A-BCD4-A27855405E53.jpeg
74FE112F-D02F-4B5E-A012-D93A4936150C.jpeg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back