Want to start a discussion on overstocking tanks

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 6 in my Red Sea reefer 170. Most are pretty small fish. The largest is a Midas Blenny. Few fish prefer the same “regions”.

One of each: Clown, Midas Blenny, Orchid Dotty, Yellow Assessor, 6 line wrasse, Flame Hawkfish.

All bets are off when there’s food.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept African cichlids for years (I know it's not reef related but hear me out lol) and one of the most effective ways of spreading aggression or giving fish relief from other aggressive fish is to heavily overstock. It's easy for a fish to get lost in the crowd when getting bullied. It not only works, but it's also the most widely accepted way to deal with all the aggression large male cichlids tend to have. Bullied fish are stressed fish and can lead to sickness or not eating. Also, even though all male cichlid tanks are heavily overstocked, most people still consider footprint and the their individual fish's needs for tank length.

There is something I'd like to add to this. At my day job (trout brood stock hatchery), our biggest disease issue we get with the adult trout is fungus which happens to the males since they are fighting during spawning time. We separate our males and females prior to spawn cycle to keep the males from fighting with everyone. Keeping the males in tighter quarters cuts down on the fighting, no territory to defend and we don't see as much loss to fungus/secondary infections. Once the spawn is over they don't fight as much and can be given more space.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that you can go by the number of fish, or "inch per gallon" etc. you have to go with the type of fish, swim space, compatibility, adult size, and tank health. Having a harem of 6 skunk clowns in a nem that only leave it for a quick bite of food isnt the same as having 3 tangs that do constant laps, or 1 big puffer who pollutes the tank like crazy- even if the inches added up. Overstocked to me is when your fish arent healthy. Diseased/stressed due to space/ tank parameters cant be kept high quality/ a lot of aggression, etc. If you can keep every one happy and healthy, you're good. Keep in mind, we're all trying to build an ocean in a bottle. Pretty much every tank is overstocked right off the bat compared to where the fish come from, and a lot of these species would never exist in a shared space in the wild to begin with.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mind sharing your fish list? always wonder if i am overstocked? thx
Clown trigger
Sargassum trigger
Assasi trigger
Blonde naso
Hippo tang
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Banghii cardinal
Tomato clown
Gold stripe maroon
Green coris wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Squirrel fish
Big ugly damsel
Here’s a couple recent pics showing the large amount of rock and corals that makes it possible to have a successful well stocked reef tank.

20190711_130041.jpg
20190711_130020.jpg
20190718_224300.jpg

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that you can go by the number of fish, or "inch per gallon" etc. you have to go with the type of fish, swim space, compatibility, adult size, and tank health. Having a harem of 6 skunk clowns in a nem that only leave it for a quick bite of food isnt the same as having 3 tangs that do constant laps, or 1 big puffer who pollutes the tank like crazy- even if the inches added up. Overstocked to me is when your fish arent healthy. Diseased/stressed due to space/ tank parameters cant be kept high quality/ a lot of aggression, etc. If you can keep every one happy and healthy, you're good. Keep in mind, we're all trying to build an ocean in a bottle. Pretty much every tank is overstocked right off the bat compared to where the fish come from, and a lot of these species would never exist in a shared space in the wild to begin with.
I think you absolutely nailed it here, perfect explanation of my philosophy as well!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown trigger
Sargassum trigger
Assasi trigger
Blonde naso
Hippo tang
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Banghii cardinal
Tomato clown
Gold stripe maroon
Green coris wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Squirrel fish
Big ugly damsel
Here’s a couple recent pics showing the large amount of rock and corals that makes it possible to have a successful well stocked reef tank.

20190711_130041.jpg
20190711_130020.jpg
20190718_224300.jpg
Wow that’s a ton of fish. What size is that tank?

Rockytop_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my stock list:
3 barred Dartfish
1 banggai Cardinal
1 striped pipefish
5 sailfin blennies (Emblemaria Pandionis - type of barnacle blenny that can live in groups)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 saltwater Molly
1 tailspot blenny
1 radial filefish

I’ve got 14 fish in a 40 gallon, in most cases I’d consider this overstocked. But I specifically chose small peaceful fish, gave them plenty of hiding holes, and use good reef keeping skills so I haven’t seen any issues pop up.
Other than the watchman goby getting kicked out of his burrow once in a while so that the whole trio of dartfish can sleep with the pistol shrimp! Ha Didn’t even know that could happen!

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many variables, IMO, I think a person should stock their tank with what they personally feel is comfortable. Stocking a tank is somewhat puzzle, I start with I feel is the least aggressive or territorial and work my way up to what I feel is most territorial. In my old 125, I had 19 fish, ranging from a neon goby to an adult orbit bat, yes, it was big, but, I performed my maintenance diligently & everybody thrived, no reef, just fish.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown trigger
Sargassum trigger
Assasi trigger
Blonde naso
Hippo tang
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Banghii cardinal
Tomato clown
Gold stripe maroon
Green coris wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Squirrel fish
Big ugly damsel

20190711_130041.jpg
20190711_130020.jpg
20190718_224300.jpg
Even though I just posted this fish list a few hours ago I just had to update it with an unexpected addition, some of you probably think I'm crazy already and this will definently put those over the top. A friend called me an hour ago and told me he was gonna go in a different direction with his fish stocking entirely because he wanted to go in a different direction. He knows triggers have been my favorite fish since starting this hobby 30+ years ago and the Blueline is my second favorite behind a Clown trigger, so he asked me if I wanted his baby (around 1.5 inches in size) Blueline trigger he got a month ago. Being that i do things in my tank how i want not what others say is right or wrong i told him absolutely i will take it. As he wouldn't take any $$$ for the blueline trigger, without telling him I cut off some nice size frags from a couple of my acropora's to give him, needless to say he was ecstatic with the surprise acro frags. I put him in the tank and was expecting some aggression from certain fish as some have been in there for almost 4 years(when I started this current tank)and the youngest one has been in there a little under a year but they all checked out the new guy then went on with there daily routines (maybe they know they shouldn't mess with him) heres a pic of the unexpected new addition. For the 1st hour he hung out in a bottom corner but 2 hours later he is already cruising the tank, exploring all the killer caverns within the rock and corals and getting to know all his tankmates.

20190816_142734.jpg

The

Last edited:

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I just posted this fish list a few hours ago I just had to update it with an unexpected addition, some of you probably think I'm crazy already and this will definently put those over the top. A friend called me an hour ago and told me he was gonna go in a different direction with his fish stocking entirely because he wanted to go in a different direction. He knows triggers have been my favorite fish since starting this hobby 30+ years ago and the Blueline is my second favorite behind a Clown trigger, so he asked me if I wanted his baby (around 1.5 inches in size) Blueline trigger he got a month ago. Being that i do things in my tank how i want not what others say is right or wrong i told him absolutely i will take it. As he wouldn't take any $$$ for the blueline trigger, without telling him I cut off some nice size frags from a couple of my acropora's to give him, needless to say he was ecstatic with the surprise acro frags. I put him in the tank and was expecting some aggression from certain fish as some have been in there for almost 4 years(when I started this current tank)and the youngest one has been in there a little under a year but they all checked out the new guy then went on with there daily routines (maybe they know they shouldn't mess with him) heres a pic of the unexpected new addition. For the 1st hour he hung out in a bottom corner but 2 hours later he is already cruising the tank, exploring all the killer caverns within the rock and corals and getting to know all his tankmates.

20190816_142734.jpg

The

I like your style; do what you want :)

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like to give a little bit of space for everyone to do their own thing. Imo people go way overboard with their feelings on tank size as well.

Nutrient export methods have come a long way is the only way I can see some of these tanks making it like they do.

Overstocking is touchy. I like to consider the adult size then make a decision on final tank size which doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of sw fish. It makes zero sense to me to get an awesome fish like a big angel, trigger, etc just to give it up after yrs of care, but to each their own

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

20190816_142734.jpg

The
Awesome!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back