What is your favorite alternative approach to managing a tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I always like seeing people run their tanks different from what can be considered "Normal". Maybe the person runs a tank with minimal equipment, or maybe they do some method no one really does, yet it works for them. I am wondering what are some alternative methods you use for your tank!

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I always like seeing people run their tanks different from what can be considered "Normal". Maybe the person runs a tank with minimal equipment, or maybe they do some method no one really does, yet it works for them. I am wondering what are some alternative methods you use for your tank!
I have two systems, one is a 105g and another is a 25g. The 105 has more bells and whistles but runs itself, the 25g has less bells and whisltes and seems to run itself more "easily". There arent any specific methods i do for either but the one thing i dont really do are water changes. There's enough evaporation happening that fresh RO is going into the systems. I find doing a decent water change every 3-4 months is i guess a "method" of sorts, and works great in my systems.

By more bells and whistles i mean: rollermat, skimmer, gfo, UV, Algae Scrubber.
By less bells and whistles i mean: filter socks, skimmer, chaeto.

Parameters are stable and that's what matters.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk slurry dosing for me.

I'm using 4tsp per gallon in a container, keeping it agitated with a jebao powerhead. Going to stepping up to a higher concentration in the coming months

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my approach? as hands off as possible. funny to mention as i don't have a controller/auto-doser lol.

tank is old enough to be on cruise control. outside of the water testing i don't need to do anything. i actually have more troubles keeping a stable no3/po4/alk than anything else. clams, corals, and filtration (skimmer/chaeto) are too efficient.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not too out of the box, but I have separate sumps and filtration for all five tanks. None are tied into each other. Sure it’s more expensive, but it’s also more reliable for me overall. When one tank gets a problem, the rest are isolated. Oh, and I live next to a nuclear power plant. So there’s that. :grinning-squinting-face:

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not too out of the box, but I have separate sumps and filtration for all five tanks. None are tied into each other. Sure it’s more expensive, but it’s also more reliable for me overall. When one tank gets a problem, the rest are isolated. Oh, and I live next to a nuclear power plant. So there’s that. :grinning-squinting-face:
3 eye'd fish in your future??? lolol

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alternative method? Just buy a new one

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat the aquarium water with bleach and introduce plastic fish, corals and plants.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back