Want to start the Triton method. Need some info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 135g total water volume SPS tank with a low bio-load. I am using a calcium reactor to keep my parameters stable. A few things I would like to change is the salt mix I am using from IO to HW Marinemix Reefer. Do you have any information on this salt or do you only prefer the Tropic Marin Pro? I also want to switch my CrX media to The Dastaco media due to phosphate leach from the TLF Reborn or should I leave it instead of dosing P04?

I have an auto water exchange system that removes/replenishes 1 gpd. Should I take this offline with the Triton method?

Also is it okay to have a remote refugium instead of a direct fed from the DT or can I use a algae reactor due to my space constraints (prefer the reactor) ? How do I start the Triton method and with what products? I will be sending in a sample for testing later this week.

1.025 salinity
450 calcium
8.5 dkh Alk
1354 Magnesium
Undetectable nitrate
P04 .04

Thank you

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pseudo

Sorry I'm not familiar with that brand of salt, perhaps another member will be along that may of tested it themselves.

The Dastaco media is not actually a Triton product, it has been tested by Triton and proven pure..

There are a few people out there who run the Dastaco media and use our testing and traces to maintain. Running a Calcium reactor you will not be running the Triton method per say.

If you want to run a different method but keep most of the benefits of the Triton Method can I recommend you look into Core7 Reef Supplements which can be used in conjunction with other methods of reef keeping.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will look into the Core7. With the Core7 do I still send in samples of water and follow the guidelines of the Triton method? Can I still use my Crx with this system?

Thanks

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will look into the Core7. With the Core7 do I still send in samples of water and follow the guidelines of the Triton method? Can I still use my Crx with this system?

Thanks
Yes, you still need to make sure all elements are on point and the only way to do this is to periodically send in the ICP tests.
All you're doing with this "method" is keeping your water parameters close to NSW and using a large algae bed as a primary form of natural filtration along with a skimmer, some carbon and maybe a little gfo.
How you keep your parameters there is really up to you. Triton makes it easy by offering the regular Core7 which takes care of everything. ICP tests may show the occasional need to supplement individual elements here and there but minor.
You can use your CaRx with the Core7 Reef Elements, it just might take a little more tweaking and testing on your part to balance everything. Should be cheaper in the long run though since CaRx are so inexpensive to run once you get going.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the 3a and 3b. Is that the Calcium and Alk components? My reactor is keeping my alk stable at 8.4 and Calcium at 450-460. Would I still have to use the 3a&b or would I have to adjust my reactor down so I could use the cal and alk components? My goal is to get my water parameters as close to NSW , correct any deficiencies and remove unwanted metals which I am sure my tank has.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends which product you are talking about.

Original Base Elements are set out as follows.
1 Alk + Traces
2 Ca + Traces
3A Mg + Traces
3B Mg + Traces

Whereas Core7 is
1 Mg + Traces
2 Ca + Traces
3A Alk + Traces
3B Alk + Traces

Core7 Base Elements and Reef Supplements are both the same in as much as what is in each bottle but it is the Reef Supplements that you want if you are not going to run the Triton Method as that has less of the pro macro algae elements required for the Triton Method.

OP
OP
Pseudo

Pseudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was speaking of the Core7 Reef Supplements. So I would have to adjust my reactor because I am adding Cal and Alk with the Core7 Reef Supplements.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back