Want to supplement my Radion Blues with white light

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have 2 XR-15 Radion Blues (G6) over my tank (IM 75INT). I'm getting good PAR readings but aesthetically, the tank is just too blue for my liking. I have them set to AB+ which has all channels 100%. Whenever I dial back the blue settings, the PAR crashes so I don't want to tune them back. I'm toying with the idea of adding a 3rd light tuned to the white spectrum purely for aesthetic purposes. Since this is a luxury and not a need, I'm looking for an inexpensive option. Any ideas?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was looking at very nice reef tanks, they all had excellent light coverage. Adding light bars is not cheap, but can boost performance and looks. I personally like Reefbrite. But many say Orphek is good.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on your definition of inexpensive but maybe look at the Quanta Pro Tropic Sun light bar?

I haven’t used them but heard they give good light with good par so that may allow you tune back your lights for a few hours while maintaining the same par?

I have and do use Aliexpress PopBloom light bars but only the blue version and a custom blue set up and I like them as well. Not sure of their white versions though.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure on your definition of inexpensive but maybe look at the Quanta Pro Tropic Sun light bar?

I haven’t used them but heard they give good light with good par so that may allow you tune back your lights for a few hours while maintaining the same par?

I have and do use Aliexpress PopBloom light bars but only the blue version and a custom blue set up and I like them as well. Not sure of their white versions though.
Unfortunately the way I have things configured, a light bar would probably not work.

I was wondering if the A7 II on Allie Express might work?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbrite has an add on kit for your lights. Two of them will color up your tank and make the corals pop. Of course you would have to build your own with Lumi-light 50/50 instead of the pre packaged BRS ones. But it is easy.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 26

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I know @telegraham did a review on the A7 and found it to be pretty good if I’m not mistaken but I’m instagram search impaired so can’t find the review. With that said I’ve heard the software is quite clunky.

That said I’ve been seeing more and more people posting about the Lominie light from Amazon. If it doesn’t work for what you want, it’s got an easy return at least. And you have a similar kessil look I believe.

Lominie light - https://a.co/d/2jPfzoa

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or perhaps a Noopsyche mini (I believe their white can be adjusted pretty well).

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefbrite has an add on kit for your lights. Two of them will color up your tank and make the corals pop. Of course you would have to build your own with Lumi-light 50/50 instead of the pre packaged BRS ones. But it is easy.
Although that would be the "right" way to go, its also the $ expensive route.

In a perfect work, I'd add a Kessil in the mix as I like the shimmer. But to drop $500 for aesthetic purposes is a bit much. I'm gonna roll the dice on an A7 knock off. For ~$100, I'll take the chance.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along to see how this works out for you, also a XR15 G6 Blue guy that needs more white light in their life (I think we are growing..)..

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly not buying a light marketed as a reef light would drastically drop the cost, at the expense of functionality.

These reef lights are afaik on the cheaper end:
ViparSpectra
PopBloom
Orphek
NICREW

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up ordering the A7 Gen 2 (cheap Kessil knockoff). From what I can find, the app sucks but it should have the power and spread to blend with the Radions. We shall see.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I know @telegraham did a review on the A7 and found it to be pretty good if I’m not mistaken but I’m instagram search impaired so can’t find the review. With that said I’ve heard the software is quite clunky.

That said I’ve been seeing more and more people posting about the Lominie light from Amazon. If it doesn’t work for what you want, it’s got an easy return at least. And you have a similar kessil look I believe.

Lominie light - https://a.co/d/2jPfzoa
I'm not a fan. Like their Kessil counterparts, they're weak and point-source. I'd rather buy a light that's purpose-built to be a good light than one that looks like a light I didn't like in the first place (A7/A8).

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan. Like their Kessil counterparts, they're weak and point-source. I'd rather buy a light that's purpose-built to be a good light than one that looks like a light I didn't like in the first place (A7/A8).
Thanks for sharing that! I appreciate that information.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! In this case, it will purely be a supplement to add a little white and shimmer. Total want vs need. Definitely not my primary light source as I’m getting sufficient PAR from the Radions. Although I do have to say I still miss the glory days of MH

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have a question since you’ve used them. I’ve heard the app is terrible. Can you manually adjust the A7 with the knobs?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the supplemental light doesn't work for you, is it possible to return the XR15 blues and go for Pros?

I use radion pros as I prefer whiter but I can still dial up the blue for certain parts of my photo period.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the supplemental light doesn't work for you, is it possible to return the XR15 blues and go for Pros?

I use radion pros as I prefer whiter but I can still dial up the blue for certain parts of my photo period.
Unfortunately that ship sailed because they’re 2 months old and ive used them. I’d probably lose my rear end if I returned or sold them. Again my issue is purely aesthetic. They have good PAR. B

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 XR-15 Radion Blues (G6) over my tank (IM 75INT). I'm getting good PAR readings but aesthetically, the tank is just too blue for my liking. I have them set to AB+ which has all channels 100%. Whenever I dial back the blue settings, the PAR crashes so I don't want to tune them back. I'm toying with the idea of adding a 3rd light tuned to the white spectrum purely for aesthetic purposes. Since this is a luxury and not a need, I'm looking for an inexpensive option. Any ideas?
I'm starting back here. How much do you want to spend on supplemental lights? Are bars an option? How high do you have the -15s mounted? How are they mounted?

P.S. Two XR-15s over an IM75 ain't enough light for me. That's a two XR-30 tank if I was going Radion (which I wouldn't).
I do have a question since you’ve used them. I’ve heard the app is terrible. Can you manually adjust the A7 with the knobs?
You can use the knobs, the software sucks, but the software is navigatable. You could figure it out, but I still wouldn't buy them.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting back here. How much do you want to spend on supplemental lights? Are bars an option? How high do you have the -15s mounted? How are they mounted?

P.S. Two XR-15s over an IM75 ain't enough light for me. That's a two XR-30 tank if I was going Radion (which I wouldn't).

You can use the knobs, the software sucks, but the software is navigatable. You could figure it out, but I still wouldn't buy them.

Thanks again! They're mounted on the RMS mounts so are about 8" off the water surface. PAR is decent but not setting any records. I'll probably eventually add bars or T5 supplements but right now not an option.

Here are my current PAR levels at 100% output:
20240413_091847181_iOS 3.jpg

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that ship sailed because they’re 2 months old and ive used them. I’d probably lose my rear end if I returned or sold them. Again my issue is purely aesthetic. They have good PAR. B
Darn, figured it was a long shot. They definitely do put out a good bit of light. I've got G5 Xr-15 pros and they pack a pretty good punch (no experience with other leds though)

Hope you're able to figure something out! I don't know enough about current systems on the market to be of anymore help

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back