• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Wanted: Male toadstool leather or fiji yellow

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add a small leather coral to my 30G daylight reef. Male toadstools remain around 4” when mature, and Fiji yellow leathers (Sarcophyton elegans) also stay small. If you have a healthy and mature leather that stays small and are interested in fragging, please let me know and post a picture of the current colony under white light. Thanks!

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’m looking to add a small leather coral to my 30G daylight reef. Male toadstools remain around 4” when mature, and Fiji yellow leathers (Sarcophyton elegans) also stay small. If you have a healthy and mature leather that stays small and are interested in fragging, please let me know and post a picture of the current colony under white light. Thanks!

Attachments

• F4DD3B86-B249-4177-A740-7EEEDADD6B2C.jpeg
    F4DD3B86-B249-4177-A740-7EEEDADD6B2C.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Gretchacha

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toadstools can be male or female?
Apparently so. “

Reproduction and Propagation​

According to Borneman, in Aquarium Coral, a toadstool coral reaches maturity at around 6-10 years. Male colonies reach maturity faster and at a smaller size than female colonies (4 inches/10.2cm cubed vs. 24 inches/60cm cubed!!!) That’s a dramatic difference. And for female corals, that’s a significant size to support within your aquarium.”

I assume that most specimens in the industry are female, since they are large, and large specimens would be fragged. However, if someone had a wild collected specimen, it could be male. If that were the case, it would stay at 4”. That scale toadstool is what would be appropriate in my tank.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that most specimens in the industry are female, since they are large, and large specimens would be fragged. However, if someone had a wild collected specimen, it could be male. If that were the case, it would stay at 4”. That scale toadstool is what would be appropriate in my tank.
That's interesting. I might have a male by that definition, but I'm not sure if I've had it long enough to know.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting, i definitely have a female. I fragged it when it was about 4 inches, both pieces of the frags are now 4in and growing

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always frag one if it got too big for your tank, too.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back