Wanting to add fish...

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 20gal reef tank that has just completed its cycle and I have put a 2 zoas in there. I want to add more corals but I want to get some fish in there first. Any suggestions for stocking? Im not opposed to anything, however clownfish don't excite me very much. Thanks in advance :)

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey! I have a 20gal too :) here are some ideas for you

fish for rockwork/caves/sand

- gobies/pistol shrimp pairs
- orchid dottyback
- small blennies
- possum wrasse
-pink-streaked wrasse

fish for water column

- rolland's/springer's damselfish
- banggai cardinalfish
- chalk basslet
- royal gramma
- green reef chromis
- black cap basslet
- dartfish
- firefish

semi-aggressive/aggressive fish that I would avoid

- six-line wrasse
- most damselfish
- most dottybacks

...and don't forget about your inverts! they are a super cool part of any reef tank.

Upvote 0

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FirefishGoby-GettyImages-513096241-59f2733d03f402001010225f.jpg
A pair of firefish gobies would be nice

Upvote 0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, what?? Clownfish don't excite you? There are countless different colours and patterns. :)
Second, i'd say blenny, gobies, damselfish, basslets, chromis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Samantha732

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, what?? Clownfish don't excite you? There are countless different colours and patterns. :)
From what I have heard clownfish are aggressive! I was looking at a yellow watchmen goby haha they look so grumpy and cute

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Samantha732

Samantha732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are jumpers. The beautiful firefish goby I had (note the past tense) just today jumped out and died before I found him on the floor.
oh no! that's the worst. In my freshwater tank I have khuli loaches and I found 2 of them on the floor when I got home from work last week. Never a good feeling.

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m of the opinion that all of the ‘designer’ clownfish are abominations. The long-fins? Holy

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no! that's the worst. In my freshwater tank I have khuli loaches and I found 2 of them on the floor when I got home from work last week. Never a good feeling.
Not to say that gobies are not a great addition to your tank.. just beware that they can and will jump. A tight fitting top should save you the heartache of finding a beautiful prized fish dead on the floor.

Edit: Isn't is funny that the bottom dwellers are usually the ones that jump? What are they thinking? If I swim really fast toward the surface, I can maybe find a lower level of the bottom?

Upvote 0

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have heard clownfish are aggressive!
Honestly I think most people have a good experience with clowns. Sure sometimes they can be a little nippy when in pairs but especially on their own they are great little fish. I love mine. Always out in the water up to their silly fish antics :)

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longfins I admit aren't the best looking ones XD. But snowstorms? snowflakes? phantoms? black ice?
I know people love them, but I think a lot of them are hideous, they look like they’re being erased. I did see a couple black ones with white spots at the lfs a few days ago (don’t know what name they go by), they were adults in their display tank, and they were kind of pretty, but overall most of the designer clownfishes just look unnatural. When I see them in a tank, they take me out of the fantasy, they ruin my suspension of disbelief, I don’t feel like I’m looking at a natural piece of the ocean.

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people love them, but I think a lot of them are hideous, they look like they’re being erased. I did see a couple black ones with white spots at the lfs a few days ago (don’t know what name they go by), they were adults in their display tank, and they were kind of pretty, but overall most of the designer clownfishes just look unnatural. When I see them in a tank, they take me out of the fantasy, they ruin my suspension of disbelief, I don’t feel like I’m looking at a natural piece of the ocean.
Maybe we should dump a bunch of designer Clowns in the reefs and maybe they will become natural, who knows what we will get when they breed.

Upvote 0

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what do you think of normal orange or even black ocellaris clowns?

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20g, you have lots of options with smaller fish. Do you have a lid? If not, do not get any gobies, clowns (whish are not on the list anyway), wrasse, jawfish, blennies, the list goes on and on. Most will jump. Just a matter of time.

Now, I like small damsels (talbots, azures are the ones I have most experience with). I like masked gobies and neon gobies. Fun and out in the water column once settled. I like tail spot blennies and barnacle blennies, just funny creatures. Chalk bass are a good recommendation too. Cardinals bore me honestly. Jester goby is fun.

I do like the goby shrimp pairing. Lots of fun to watch.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back