Wanting to do sps.

MikeMartinez82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to try and get into more sps but dont want to get something and have it die. I purchased 1 montipora, green birdsnest, Stylophora, green slimer, and they are doing great with the birdsnest showing growth. What would entry level sps would everyone recommend? Love the look at the acros but dont want to be killing stuff!!!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to try and get into more sps but dont want to get something and have it die. I purchased 1 montipora, green birdsnest, Stylophora, green slimer, and they are doing great with the birdsnest showing growth. What would entry level sps would everyone recommend? Love the look at the acros but dont want to be killing stuff!!!
A green slimer is an acropora. Sounds like you are off to a great start.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great starter pack you got there, give it some time to grow out before you start buying more. . give yourself some time to get use to their requirements and demands and read as much as you can.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get into sticks, I would highly recommend a Tricolor Valida Acro. It has to be one of the most hardiest acros i've ever kept. Green slimer is a type of acro, if you are keeping that alive you should be good to go ;)

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything ORA is a good choice for SPS beginners who have shown they can do it. I personally love the red planet. Also, buying encrusted frags is a big one for me. Freshly cut frags are less likely to pull through.

OP
OP
MikeMartinez82

MikeMartinez82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get into sticks, I would highly recommend a Tricolor Valida Acro. It has to be one of the most hardiest acros i've ever kept. Green slimer is a type of acro, if you are keeping that alive you should be good to go ;)
The green slimer isnt as green as it use to be slightly browned, but everything else is still good and growning.

OP
OP
MikeMartinez82

MikeMartinez82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great starter pack you got there, give it some time to grow out before you start buying more. . give yourself some time to get use to their requirements and demands and read as much as you can.
I'm testing water ever couple days, and maybe too much.

OP
OP
MikeMartinez82

MikeMartinez82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you. Yest alk every 2 days, and then test alk, cal, and mag every 4th day.

But to be honest, I think it's worth it.
Oh I think it's totally worth it. Hopefully figure out the swings and keep it stable. I test alk, nh3, no2, no3, po4, ca, mg, ph, salinity, temp every other day or 3 if life gets in the way. Thinking of adding orp as well.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree a Tri-color is a great hardy first time acro, have some chunky frags available. I see your in Denver come to Fort Collins I have some other good acros for you to try out! Here is a pic of momma

LRM_EXPORT_171559911816280_20181210_215425251.jpeg

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a Tri-color is a great hardy first time acro, have some chunky frags available. I see your in Denver come to Fort Collins I have some other good acros for you to try out! Here is a pic of momma

That is a nice piece you have there. I hope my tri color grows up to be just like yours...lol

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sticks, but I love cyphastrea, and if your ok with having to deal with it down the road pocillopora is gorgeous imo.

OP
OP
MikeMartinez82

MikeMartinez82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks amazing! What are you looking to get for a few frags? And my free time is usually Sundays, not sure if that would work for you.

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a killer starter pack
Post some pictures!

Hi I’m an acroholic. It’s the one thing in this hobby that has always challenged me. But love the results

You have to realize every tank is different and will be different even if you try to replicate it. I have a few “canary” SPS that inform me something is wrong.

Here is my first sps that I was able to keep long term
DB26389C-723C-4718-88CC-FE53FE6527B6.jpeg

OP
OP
MikeMartinez82

MikeMartinez82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a killer starter pack
Post some pictures!

Hi I’m an acroholic. It’s the one thing in this hobby that has always challenged me. But love the results

You have to realize every tank is different and will be different even if you try to replicate it. I have a few “canary” SPS that inform me something is wrong.

Here is my first sps that I was able to keep long term
DB26389C-723C-4718-88CC-FE53FE6527B6.jpeg
THATS WHAT I WANT!!!! The look of colonies like that are amazing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back