Wanting to get a pair - very late

nanotanknewbie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
19
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I have had my 12G nano tank setup for about 1 year currently there is a singular oscilaris in the tank and i used to have a tailspot blenny until sadly he passed away

I was thinking of adding another oscilaris but unsure how to proceed and making sure i do it right of course

I have noted alot of people talking about the sizing but that seems quite hard as my oscilaris doesnt seem too big - image for example

b15c668e-76d2-4620-90ca-62d50c19f535.jpg


Hes about the same size as a peppermint shrimp in length

This is the only picture when he was in the QT tank before i moved him/her to the main tank a year ago

- same size retained
There are 3 smaller BTAs in the tank and he has hosted one of them
 
Checked just now and think my oscilaris is about 5 maybe 6cm
 
It is possible to get another clownfish in your tank. I would recommend having an acclimation box first and using it.
My main concern is the tank size. At 12g, some people have success with two clowns, while a lot of people run into aggression issues. If you were to get another clown, follow my advice I listed above and I would see if you could possibly return the clown if it doesn't work out (assuming you are getting it locally)
 
If you have a stocked LFS nearby, best pick one from a group. Choose the middle one in that group, trying to match the size of your own. If they don't get along from the start, you might need to separate them with an acclimation box. But chances are they won't fight.

Why the middle one in a group? The largest might already be a female. The smallest ones will be easier to get dominated. The middle one is a safe choice.
 
It is possible to get another clownfish in your tank. I would recommend having an acclimation box first and using it.
My main concern is the tank size. At 12g, some people have success with two clowns, while a lot of people run into aggression issues. If you were to get another clown, follow my advice I listed above and I would see if you could possibly return the clown if it doesn't work out (assuming you are getting it locally)
Yeah that makes sense and i can understand why a smaller space leaves less room for peace 😅 my oscilaris was good with the blenny but that also may have been pure luck - unsure on stores stance on returns so i may need to call them first
 
If you have a stocked LFS nearby, best pick one from a group. Choose the middle one in that group, trying to match the size of your own. If they don't get along from the start, you might need to separate them with an acclimation box. But chances are they won't fight.

Why the middle one in a group? The largest might already be a female. The smallest ones will be easier to get dominated. The middle one is a safe choice.
Yeah the store has alot of them currently

Thats a pretty good way to choose i wont lie i would never think of that

I still have an acclimation box sitting around so i have that precaution ready
 
Yeah that makes sense and i can understand why a smaller space leaves less room for peace 😅 my oscilaris was good with the blenny but that also may have been pure luck - unsure on stores stance on returns so i may need to call them first
You could consider selling the one you already have and get a pair from the store, that is already a match.
 
Yeah that makes sense and i can understand why a smaller space leaves less room for peace 😅 my oscilaris was good with the blenny but that also may have been pure luck - unsure on stores stance on returns so i may need to call them first
You could consider selling the one you already have and get a pair from the store, that is already a match.
I did consider this but i have built a small bond with him as whenever i come home or im doing work i hes near the glass asking for food or just being a clown
 
You definitely want to get a smaller one in case yours is transitioning or already a female. Welcome to R2R!
In the year i have had my oscilaris would it change sexes? I genuinely have no idea how it works 😂 - as it was a solo oscilaris i assumed it stayed genderless in a way
 
In the year i have had my oscilaris would it change sexes? I genuinely have no idea how it works 😂 - as it was a solo oscilaris i assumed it stayed genderless in a way
Yes, they will transition if they are alone due to hormones. It can take from months to a year. Years ago I introduced a very small male to my existing female and they are together today.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new