Status
Not open for further replies.

olsinc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know where to really post this so I put it here since it has to do with Corals. Would anyone have any info on Starting up a Coral Business and what exactly it all intells? Any help would be Awesome.

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick list: Facility, holding tanks, skimmers, pumps, lighting, fragging equipment, and a wholesale account for equipment as well as wholesale coral importers. You would have to decide whether you would want to sell the the public (as in storefront) or online only.

OP
OP
O

olsinc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of Online first then move into a Storefront/Online down the road. I was thinking about ordering from Eye catching Corals. They sell wholesale and have some really good looking Stock. Was wondering if their is a site on the Internet that explains everything that it would take including price to get this up and going.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of Online first then move into a Storefront/Online down the road. I was thinking about ordering from Eye catching Corals. They sell wholesale and have some really good looking Stock. Was wondering if their is a site on the Internet that explains everything that it would take including price to get this up and going.

Rule number one, dont release your sources publicly.

Rule number two, the hardest to find wholesalers are the best.

Keep those in mind.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule number one, dont release your sources publicly.

Rule number two, the hardest to find wholesalers are the best.

Keep those in mind.

+1 finding good wholesalers is a talent in itself and it's an unwritten rule in the biz to not give away your sources :D

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have alot of reading to do buddy. Have you eve run a business before, Do you have a business plan or the set up? To get even a very basic frag set up your looking at a couple thousand in Equ just to get started. If its anything like getting a ice cream license its not fun and I hope you like paper work. Lastly I hope you know you can't just go place a order for the bread and butter piece you have to buy crap to get nice things and even then the best of the best is going to go to the people who buy from them weakly and or are spending thousands of dollars per order.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually you need to have a brick and mortar location not just something put of your house cause if lfs finds out you are using the same sources they will complain the the wholesaler. This is happened on more than couple occasions down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

olsinc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have alot of reading to do buddy. Have you eve run a business before, Do you have a business plan or the set up? To get even a very basic frag set up your looking at a couple thousand in Equ just to get started. If its anything like getting a ice cream license its not fun and I hope you like paper work. Lastly I hope you know you can't just go place a order for the bread and butter piece you have to buy crap to get nice things and even then the best of the best is going to go to the people who buy from them weakly and or are spending thousands of dollars per order.
Yes I do have a Business. Yes I do have the setup. Yes I do have a wholesaler (3 to be exact). Yes I do have thousands if not 10's of Thousands. And Yes I do Like paperwork. Thank You for your Support.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped 2 of the stores locally set their systems up who had never done saltwater before, and this is what I got them into.

Tank cost-

Your going to want a display from which your fragging from, so let's say you set up a 125 that is for SPS, LPS, sorties, etc. This is not going to be cheap at all.

Tank and stand- $600-$800 used?

Lighting- Depending what you go with, $400-$1,500, you could use Metal Halides, or all the way up LED's.

Filtration- this your your display, your creaof the crop, this is where the babies come from, your going to what the best filtration, your looking at $800-$1,500 for your filtration system, easy if you wanted a good skimmer, and filter on the tank.

Corals- this is priceless, you could spend $10,000in corals and still want more. Not cheap.

That's just your fragging display tank where you grow all your corals, now take and find 2 frag tanks, $500, lighting systems, $500-$800, filtration, $1000 for the both tanks, misc equipment, $750ish.

That's summed up majorly, I'm forgetting a few things, but that will give you a base to work with, you can do it cheaper, but your not going to want to when your housing a coral colony that cost your $500...

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m has a lot of good points. Don't get fooled by thinking that vendors get these awesome coral for cheap and turn it around for a huge profit. If you think thats the case then you have a lot of false hope.. You will see some of the best coral in this business right here on R2R and believe me its not as easy as it looks. Plan to spend many thousands of dollars on junk coral to find decent suppliers. Then plan to spend thousands of dollars per month just to get some decent coral in each order. Then of course the main part of the business is keeping it alive and coloring it up to be able to pass it on to customers. As a new vendor the hardest part is getting customers to trust that you know what yo are doing and that is a task in itself.

OP
OP
O

olsinc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually you need to have a brick and mortar location not just something put of your house cause if lfs finds out you are using the same sources they will complain the the wholesaler. This is happened on more than couple occasions down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I was thinking about Stocking up, then growing them out to frag to put out forsale. I have been keeping my Eye on this one place here in town that just went Vacant. It has alot of potential for a business like this. My business right now just really doesent have the room to support something like this.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m has a lot of good points. Don't get fooled by thinking that vendors get these awesome coral for cheap and turn it around for a huge profit. If you think thats the case then you have a lot of false hope.. You will see some of the best coral in this business right here on R2R and believe me its not as easy as it looks. Plan to spend many thousands of dollars on junk coral to find decent suppliers. Then plan to spend thousands of dollars per month just to get some decent coral in each order. Then of course the main part of the business is keeping it alive and coloring it up to be able to pass it on to customers. As a new vendor the hardest part is getting customers to trust that you know what yo are doing and that is a task in itself.

all these points are spot on... very good advice

if you establish a good relationship with your wholesaler and help them move bread and butter corals you will be rewarded in the long run

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have three when you dont even have the permits/license yet? Do you mean you know of three coral wholesalers not you have three. First you need to get all your paperwork in line permits and license but you should know that since you have a business. Second you need to make sure your system is good to go to get a few box's of coral. I hope this system isn't connected to your main because you should expect pest and unwanted things. Second you need to get a online store up so people can see what you have then you should find a great little place like R2R to sponsor to get your name out there.

I'm sure I'm missing a few odds and ends in there that only sponsors could answer but why would a vender want to help a competitor

OP
OP
O

olsinc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped 2 of the stores locally set their systems up who had never done saltwater before, and this is what I got them into.

Tank cost-

Your going to want a display from which your fragging from, so let's say you set up a 125 that is for SPS, LPS, sorties, etc. This is not going to be cheap at all.

Tank and stand- $600-$800 used?

Lighting- Depending what you go with, $400-$1,500, you could use Metal Halides, or all the way up LED's.

Filtration- this your your display, your creaof the crop, this is where the babies come from, your going to what the best filtration, your looking at $800-$1,500 for your filtration system, easy if you wanted a good skimmer, and filter on the tank.

Corals- this is priceless, you could spend $10,000in corals and still want more. Not cheap.

That's just your fragging display tank where you grow all your corals, now take and find 2 frag tanks, $500, lighting systems, $500-$800, filtration, $1000 for the both tanks, misc equipment, $750ish.

That's summed up majorly, I'm forgetting a few things, but that will give you a base to work with, you can do it cheaper, but your not going to want to when your housing a coral colony that cost your $500...
Thank You for the advice.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many years ago I owned a pet/aquarium shop yes there are trials but all in all it was very enjoyable I hope it works out for you the excitement of getting new stuff in was like Christmas morning for me!

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paperwork is license/permits thing is a pretty easy process you can get your tax ID free from the IRS site and in my state which is Florida you can get your business license free online thats all you need to buy from most wholesalers. When you start fragging your stuff youll wanna make sure you have your aquaculture license and saltwater products license. Because at least in Florida you have to have a license to frag your coral then a license to sell that coral. It may be easier on you in Texas but i know florida has tough laws on this subject thankfully I have all my stuff all ready just never went to any wholesalers yet

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with KoleTang. You don't want to be asking yourself the "What If' question if you didn't try. Give it a shot and have good customer service and you'll have repeat customers. When it comes to choosing suppliers I don't care about price all the time, I'll pay more at the places that have good customer service. The licensing, supply chain, etc are all the details with running a business that I would bet money on it you have already thought about those things.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paperwork is license/permits thing is a pretty easy process you can get your tax ID free from the IRS site and in my state which is Florida you can get your business license free online thats all you need to buy from most wholesalers. When you start fragging your stuff youll wanna make sure you have your aquaculture license and saltwater products license. Because at least in Florida you have to have a license to frag your coral then a license to sell that coral. It may be easier on you in Texas but i know florida has tough laws on this subject thankfully I have all my stuff all ready just never went to any wholesalers yet

I agree florida is a pain in the butt I am currently in the process of obtaining my permits and license but it will be worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back