New Coral Needs Help

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a photo? Aiptasia dosent retract quickly at all, I'm thinking featherduster
IMG_1834.jpeg

It's aptaisia

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a very........ biodiverse... frag...

Though I don't see any obvious aiptasia
Nevermind, I see the arms, thought that was sponge at first.

Yeah, lemon juice is your best bet, aiptasia F/X is too risky to any coral left on that skeleton and bhergia nudibranchs would be a huge waste of money. Though there are probably more than one aiptasia on that skeleton so if you have a coral observation/QT setup then I'd wait awhile before adding it to any sort of display.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, I see the arms, thought that was sponge at first.

Yeah, lemon juice is your best bet, aiptasia F/X is too risky to any coral left on that skeleton and bhergia nudibranchs would be a huge waste of money. Though there are probably more than one aiptasia on that skeleton so if you have a coral observation/QT setup then I'd wait awhile before adding it to any sort of display.
Do the bhergia nudibranchs really a waste?
I have one piece of rock in my tank that is covered in aiptasia and I ordered 5 bhergia nudibranchs to take care of that,

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the bhergia nudibranchs really a waste?
I have one piece of rock in my tank that is covered in aiptasia and I ordered 5 bhergia nudibranchs to take care of that,
For one frag it's not a cost effective way of elimination, if they have other aiptasia in the tank it may be a good idea but for what appears to be an individual it isn't the smartest of purchases

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my first round with lemon juice. I didn’t have a needle but I did manage to shove it in its face and got it. It folded halfway, hesitated, squirted again, and it went back in. So, we’ll see in the morning if I need to get a needle involved. I know a needle is better but I’ve read they don’t shut their mouth so it was worth a try tonight and it oddly hesitated.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone’s help. After consideration I’m going to toss it. I usually don’t have a reaction to putting my hand in the fish tank but it has to be leaching something because I came out with skin irritation and the peppermint shrimp died this morning. Not worth keeping. I reached in to collect my freshly passed peppermint shrimp and got a reaction on my skin. It’s not worth saving.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I appreciate everyone’s help. After consideration I’m going to toss it. I usually don’t have a reaction to putting my hand in the fish tank but it has to be leaching something because I came out with skin irritation and the peppermint shrimp died this morning. Not worth keeping. I reached in to collect my freshly passed peppermint shrimp and got a reaction on my skin. It’s not worth saving.
Most likely the peppermint shrimp molted? I don't think Pipe organ corals should have anything that will irritate the skin.

Sorry for the troubles though. I'd be hesitant to take that LFS 's advice and maybe check in on R2R with all the helpful people beforehand for some help determining types of coral to save a $.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the peppermint shrimp molted? I don't think Pipe organ corals should have anything that will irritate the skin.

Sorry for the troubles though. I'd be hesitant to take that LFS 's advice and maybe check in on R2R with all the helpful people beforehand for some help determining types of coral to save a $.
I would hope it was a molt but it was upside down with what looks like organs still in place. It was fresh and not even discolored yet. I have to watch my crabs because they disappeared and some shells look empty. I’m concerned that something took them out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back