Wanting to switch to the Triton Method

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is something that has been tempting me for a very long time. I had a tank crash toward the end of last year, and have been slow to rebuild my coral collection. This may be a great time to make the switch. There are a few things though that I wonder about my set up that may hinder the effectiveness of this method. Mainly the set up of my sump. Currently my water enters the sump and flows through drip trays with filter floss and activated carbon bags. This flows into a large skimmer chamber that holds both my skimmer and reactors (GFO). Water then enters my return chamber which houses my return pump, probes, heater and dosing tubes. I have a manifold off of my return (Vectra L1) that feeds my refugium chamber (20/25g) that also flows back to my return chamber. I have seen recently that the fuge should be first inline in the Triton methodology. Is this a major factor? Am I having to shop for a new sump to enjoy the benefits of Triton?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not a major factor. Triton is more marketing a product line and test than it is really a true reefkeeping method. Use the supplement line, pay for the water testing and don't worry about it otherwise. There is nothing that says you can't be running "Triton Method" if the order of your sump doesn't match exactly.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not a major factor. Triton is more marketing a product line and test than it is really a true reefkeeping method. Use the supplement line, pay for the water testing and don't worry about it otherwise. There is nothing that says you can't be running "Triton Method" if the order of your sump doesn't match exactly.

Thank you for your reply. Are you running this method?

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using the triton method but have no refugium is it necessary I contacted them and they said use the other methods because I have no refugium does anyone have the same problem as me?

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry 2 my question everyone says u need a refugium 2 use the triton method but there's 3 kinds from wat I've seen online on bulkreefsupply the other methods is the 1 I'm thiking of using I've emailed triton and they say I can use it without a refugium just. Needed 2 keep n eye out 4 my nitrates being inusing marine pure ceramic blocks they say the blocks have a tendency of leaching out over a proof of time i just wanted so e advice from someone who's using it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry 2 my question everyone says u need a refugium 2 use the triton method but there's 3 kinds from wat I've seen online on bulkreefsupply the other methods is the 1 I'm thiking of using I've emailed triton and they say I can use it without a refugium just. Needed 2 keep n eye out 4 my nitrates being inusing marine pure ceramic blocks they say the blocks have a tendency of leaching out over a proof of time i just wanted so e advice from someone who's using it

So that's a different question entirely.

Yes, it appears Marine Pure blocks can release aluminum. If aluminum concerns you (and it may rightly do so), then you might not elect to use them.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are
So If I decide 2 go with the other methods wat should I use 4 nitrates?
specific questions that triton should answer since it's there method. You might not find a lot of answers from people since it's a new method that's only starting to take off.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did contact them but just wanted some feed back from someone using it like most companies they say u can u can use it without a refuguim just watch out for the marine pure because of the leachin out but I figured I would just install a bio pellet reactor or some type of carbon dosing like nopox or vodka but htnks 4 da feedback really appreciate it

rsljr81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going on 2 months doing something similar to triton. No water change since i started. Started using nopox a few month before and still currently using. I have a marine pure 8x8x4 block in my sump along with a bag of carbon i switch out every month. I do rinse carbon every week to het rid of detritus. I'm using red sea foundation and color program as well. So far I've been running 0 nitrates and phosphates. Getting good coral growth and color.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going on 2 months doing something similar to triton. No water change since i started. Started using nopox a few month before and still currently using. I have a marine pure 8x8x4 block in my sump along with a bag of carbon i switch out every month. I do rinse carbon every week to het rid of detritus. I'm using red sea foundation and color program as well. So far I've been running 0 nitrates and phosphates. Getting good coral growth and color.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried da red color program As well as da reef energy gave me a lot algae plus 2 many things 2 dose pain n da !!!!! Gonna weigh my options

rsljr81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the dosing but I'm liking the results.

clover128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not using triton method but have been reading a lot and planning for a 325gal triton method setup. I actually believe putting the 10% refuge before the skimmer is certainly a major factor. In fact, putting a large refuge with reef quality lighting and 10x water flow is paramount. The others being protein skimmer and dosing/testing. You really want the refuge to get unfiltered water and lots of flow since it’s your primary nutrient export mechanism. Just my 2c and understanding.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not using triton method but have been reading a lot and planning for a 325gal triton method setup. I actually believe putting the 10% refuge before the skimmer is certainly a major factor. In fact, putting a large refuge with reef quality lighting and 10x water flow is paramount. The others being protein skimmer and dosing/testing. You really want the refuge to get unfiltered water and lots of flow since it’s your primary nutrient export mechanism. Just my 2c and understanding.

Why do you think you need 10x flow? I presume you mean per hour? I can't see how that is going to be much different than 1x per hour in terms of nutrient export. That is still 24 turnovers per day and plenty of chance for nutrients to get to the refugium from the display.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with more flow through it, but I don't think it needed.

clover128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.triton.de/en/products-services/triton-method/

Setting up a TRITON METHOD reef system
A TRITON METHOD aquarium is a sophisticated easy-to-use holistic solution for the modern reef keeper. The first step in reef keeping is to set up your new aquarium and allow the nitrogen bacterial cycle to become established.

To take advantage of the full benefit of the TRITON METHOD we recommend your system use a sump with a separate algae refuge (10-20% of system volume) which in turn flows into the main sump where you run filtration and apply reagent dosing. The return pump capacity should be around 10 x the system volume.

To follow the triton method, as it is defined by the company, means a sump compartment with macraalgae that is 10-20% of the total water volume, with 10x (roughly) the water volume per hour. The above quote is from triton directly. Additionally, if you look at some of the excellent tests that BRS did on the triton method and lighted refugiums as nutrient export, they found that providing similar quality/par lighting for the refuge is critical in getting the macroalgae to out-compete the DT.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back