Warning! Graphic! Limpet shell ripped off!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
6,545
Reaction score
7,829
Location
Nashville TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my limpet was cleaning the water outage to a small HOP “refugium/live well. He’s been there a couple of days so I was going to move him. The top third of his shell had turn white from air exposure. As I was trying to dislodge him the top of his shell snapped. Will he die? I can see his actual body and some of its swollen. I feel awful & disgusted!
A88437B6-1704-4AE3-985A-DE262BB4196A.jpeg
B16980EF-9998-4B33-9F30-008B00D7289D.jpeg
DC85313D-2FFA-436E-B4AE-881A663F12FE.jpeg
 
I believe it needs shell for protection
Although not a typical practice, I would attempt to place broken shell on top and coral putty or glue over it
 
You may be relieved to hear they can actually repair their shells.

https://www.stone-ideas.com/64240/limpets-and-their-shells/
"The scientists discovered that the apex of a limpet’s shell acts like the "crumple zone" of a car, by taking the brunt of any major damage to protect what’s inside. What most surprised them, however, was that limpets that experience shell damage seem to know or sense this – and, unlike typical car owners – actively carry out repairs themselves, by depositing new biological material to repair structural weaknesses and restore former mechanical strength."

Not a guarantee it will survive but at least that gives some hope.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new