Warning on Red Sea LED 90

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happen to touch one of the AC/DC adapters on my Red Sea LED90 lights today and noticed that it was screaming hot. They both were. Temp readings were as high as 197 F. The cord near the adapters are very warm and soft. I really hope that the insulation in the adaptors and cords hold up.
20190727T174248.jpg

White = 200 F
20190727T174314.jpg

Next to sump
20190727T174102 2.jpg

Temp of my hand for comparison
20190727T174333.jpg

Lights are much cooler.

I contacted their support via web page. I know they have a facebook site, but I do not do social medial. Has this issue been reported? Is it an issue? What are the temps of other converters? For now, I'm blowing a fan on them and have ordered large heat sinks.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few reports yes. There is a thread I will link in just a second
Here it is..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place it in ice-water. Should cool down in a few. ., . . . . JK

Theyre known to get hot, but this seems excessive.

U

User1

View Badges
Place it in ice-water. Should cool down in a few. ., . . . . JK

Theyre known to get hot, but this seems excessive.

Fire hazard. I know this may be extreme but I'd take those offline and ask for a replacement. If replacement acts the same way I'd request a refund. That seems overly hot to me and needs some form of heat ventilation.

Edit: Another option is if you have a portable fan to blow over it. Maybe that will help dissipate the heat.

OP
OP
A

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fan is on them for now. Also, there are out of the cabinet. Thx. They have been running for over a month. Glad I happened to touch them today.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few reports yes. There is a thread I will link in just a second
Here it is..

Thank You!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, a little clarity for you regarding hot power supplies, There have been a few reports of the power supplies being overly hot, however, since this could be due to a number of different issues we are dealing with each case individually, including replacing parts as and when appropriate. if you believe you have an issue please submit a Tech Support Form https://www.redseafish.com/tech-support-inquiry/ as for the flickering again a few things worth mentioning, if you have cloud simulation loaded this can be seen as flickering, also if the LED is running hot for any reason the intensity is automatically reduced, this can also be seen as flickering, if you are concerned feel free to drop me an email to [email protected] and I will be happy to check the performence of your ReefLED Thank you.

Folks,
@ndrwater is correct.

Red Sea will take care of you.

Click on the above blue arrow.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the thread I mentioned above. RED Sea is aware of the situation and is taking corrective action.

I'm sure not everyone registers their products with the manufacturer, but hopefully there will be some proactive communication where possible.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure not everyone registers their products with the manufacturer, but hopefully there will be some proactive communication where possible.

Red Sea Kev is doing the best he can, and posted in the above Red Sea sponsor forum thread.

Jimmy Long

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don't touch newer products until they've gone through at least one generation. I'll stick with AI LEDs, the Red Sea LEDS look promising but need to go through a generation before I'll invest into them. That's quite concerning

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good that they are doing something!:)

If this is a legitimate fire hazard, probably needs a bigger reach than just forum posts. Something on the website, voluntary recall, retailers notifying purchasers, whatever before the worst case scenario happens.

If it's just hot and not a fire hazard, then as customers contact them is ok.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back