ReefLED Power Supply Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mike66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running the new ReefLED 90 lights? If so, can you tell me how hot your power supplies are when the lights are on?

I just setup 2 lights on a 425 XL and one of them died after about 3 hours. Upon inspection of the power supply it burned me pretty good when I touched it. I unplugged both lights immediately and found my infrared laser thermometer. I measured the temperature around 190° F on both supplies.

I measured the temp of a couple of my AI Hydra’s and they were only at 92°.

Did I just get unlucky and got two bad supplies? Or is there a larger problem with these lights?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running the new ReefLED 90 lights? If so, can you tell me how hot your power supplies are when the lights are on?

I just setup 2 lights on a 425 XL and one of them died after about 3 hours. Upon inspection of the power supply it burned me pretty good when I touched it. I unplugged both lights immediately and found my infrared laser thermometer. I measured the temperature around 190° F on both supplies.

I measured the temp of a couple of my AI Hydra’s and they were only at 92°.

Did I just get unlucky and got two bad supplies? Or is there a larger problem with these lights?

Mike,

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and thanks for taking the time to share.

If you hear back from Red Sea, please post their response.

Freddie

Last edited:

Red Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can you please contact us? we would like to look into it.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Mike66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your message is very clear... :)
I heard back from RedSea. They want to RMA the power supplies. No real details other than how to return them.

Currently out of town, once I return I’m going to get the supplies swapped out. I’m hoping it’s just the power supplies and not the lights drawing too much power for the supplies to handle.

I wish they would have just RMA’d the entire light to guarantee I get a working product.

I’ll report back once I get them back online.

Bigzman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from RedSea. They want to RMA the power supplies. No real details other than how to return them.

Currently out of town, once I return I’m going to get the supplies swapped out. I’m hoping it’s just the power supplies and not the lights drawing too much power for the supplies to handle.

I wish they would have just RMA’d the entire light to guarantee I get a working product.

I’ll report back once I get them back online.
Thanks Mike, please keep me posted on what redsea does to help. We have 4 units on a new 750xxl we just setup. They are so hot my friend nearly burned himself when he touched them. Lights at 60% the power supplies climbs to 170 degrees. One of the unit does not factory reset so we are going to open a case. We unplugged the units since its cycle due to fear of fire. Please see thermal measurement attached
IMG_9275.jpeg
584228023.jpeg

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning everyone, I just found this thread after sending in a question to Red Sea's online support. I bought my light 7/5/19 and yesterday 7/8/19 I found that my power supply was so hot I physically could not hold on to it. I dont have a IR thermometer to measure the heat but it was so hot I was concerned about it melting the plastic housing or worse, causing a fire. I am awaiting RS's response now. My peaks are at 80% Blue, 60% White

Last edited:

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My light appears to change intensity every now and then during its peak power phase as if there is a thermal switch that ramps down the power slightly. Its not enough that when I look directly at the tank I can tell a difference but out of the corner of my eye there is an obvious change or flicker to it. I am not sure the issue is with the light or with the power supply causing the overheating. The light itself seems cool. Still waiting on a reply from Red Sea to see if I should return it to the store to exchange it or what. I will post their reply.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My light appears to change intensity every now and then during its peak power phase as if there is a thermal switch that ramps down the power slightly. Its not enough that when I look directly at the tank I can tell a difference but out of the corner of my eye there is an obvious change or flicker to it. I am not sure the issue is with the light or with the power supply causing the overheating. The light itself seems cool. Still waiting on a reply from Red Sea to see if I should return it to the store to exchange it or what. I will post their reply.

I see this too seem's like the lights are flickering out of the corner of my eye.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

William,
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!

Tagging for your reply back, from Red Sea.

Again,
Welcome, and thanks for your incite.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is the response. Not so sure I won't be returning this light. A power supply should not get so hot I can't hold on to it.

Thank you for contacting us, and I am happy to assist with your inquiry.

The power supplies are likely to run a little warm, due to the unit that it is running. It is important to keep the power supplies outside of the cabinet and well ventilated to ensure the power supply does not overheat. Is the power supply currently stored inside your aquarium cabinet? If so, you will want to move it – and the power supplies have a built in shut off if they do get too hot to be able to run. In this case, you would see the light on the power supply turn off and the light would be off as well. In the manual it will state to following information:

Place the power supply in a dry ventilated area. Only use the power supply provided with the product.

Connect the AC cable to the socket of the power supply and plug it into the wall outlet or other suitable power center and check that the indicator LED on the power supply is working. If the indicator LED is not working, check that the AC cable is properly connected and the wall outlet is switched on.

Note: The ReefLED power supply has a thermal shut-off protection and will shut down if it overheats. In the event of a thermal shut-off, allow the unit to cool down and then disconnect and reconnect the AC supply

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is the response. Not so sure I won't be returning this light. A power supply should not get so hot I can't hold on to it.

Thank you for contacting us, and I am happy to assist with your inquiry.

The power supplies are likely to run a little warm, due to the unit that it is running. It is important to keep the power supplies outside of the cabinet and well ventilated to ensure the power supply does not overheat. Is the power supply currently stored inside your aquarium cabinet? If so, you will want to move it – and the power supplies have a built in shut off if they do get too hot to be able to run. In this case, you would see the light on the power supply turn off and the light would be off as well. In the manual it will state to following information:

Place the power supply in a dry ventilated area. Only use the power supply provided with the product.

Connect the AC cable to the socket of the power supply and plug it into the wall outlet or other suitable power center and check that the indicator LED on the power supply is working. If the indicator LED is not working, check that the AC cable is properly connected and the wall outlet is switched on.

Note: The ReefLED power supply has a thermal shut-off protection and will shut down if it overheats. In the event of a thermal shut-off, allow the unit to cool down and then disconnect and reconnect the AC supply

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!
Update to this, called my local reef store and guess what... The Red Sea Rep is there. No, this is not normal. Yes, bring the light in for a replacement... We'll see how the next one does...

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked mine last and both of them are no hotter than my DC return pump(running flat out) PSU, warm but could hold it all day long.

All of you having heat issues with the PSU's are you all on 110v? I'm in the UK so it's 240v for me.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked mine last and both of them are no hotter than my DC return pump(running flat out) PSU, warm but could hold it all day long.

All of you having heat issues with the PSU's are you all on 110v? I'm in the UK so it's 240v for me.

110V here in the USA. After taking back my light to the store we felt the power supplies that are over their RS 750 XXL and they were warm but no where near like mine was. Contrary to what the text above from RS says, the local reef store had theirs under the cabinet just laying there like any normal person would do. I took home a whole new light and and 24 hours later when the the lights had been at their peak for a few hours my power supply was a bit warm but nothing like I had experienced with the previous one. I suspect I had a faulty light due to the dimming and flickering every now and then caused by some minor short or high resistance somewhere in the circuitry.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
110V here in the USA. After taking back my light to the store we felt the power supplies that are over their RS 750 XXL and they were warm but no where near like mine was. Contrary to what the text above from RS says, the local reef store had theirs under the cabinet just laying there like any normal person would do. I took home a whole new light and and 24 hours later when the the lights had been at their peak for a few hours my power supply was a bit warm but nothing like I had experienced with the previous one. I suspect I had a faulty light due to the dimming and flickering every now and then caused by some minor short or high resistance somewhere in the circuitry.

William,
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Does your new one have "no" flickering with smooth led output?

Freddie

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back