ReefLED Power Supply Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm based in the UK and am experiencing very high temperatures on my power supply! Purchased X2 brand new ReefLed 90s and within 2 hours one stopped working and the power supply failed! Other remaining light is working but temperatures on the power supply hitting 61.8c!!! Concerning!!!

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m UK too. Drop Kev an email and he’ll sort you out.

Cheers. I'm in touch with tech support and there sending me X2 replacement power supply. Will monitor temps and report back.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what they did for me. The new ones had some slight visual differences over the originals and run slightly cooler, but still hot enough that I’m keeping them in an open area in case it causes problems.

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what they did for me. The new ones had some slight visual differences over the originals and run slightly cooler, but still hot enough that I’m keeping them in an open area in case it causes problems.

I will be keeping the new ones in an open area as well Dan. Couldn't believe my luck when one went after 2 hours of being installed! Gutted! Tank is currently running only 1 light over it! Hope red sea get the replacements out asap!

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fence about ordering these now...since this seems to be an issue for multiple users. Despite what seems like good customer service in getting new power supplies...have they said anything like they are aware of the issue and are resolving it for future units being manufactured?

Putting a power supply outside the stand with a fan blowing on it isn't something I want to do...considering I have so many other power supplies in my stand that are doing just fine without the extra ventilation.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked where I purchased my lights from - maybe Red Sea are aware of an issue, have slightly updated the design but some suppliers have ‘old’ stock still?

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked where I purchased my lights from - maybe Red Sea are aware of an issue, have slightly updated the design but some suppliers have ‘old’ stock still?

I was thinking similar Dan. Maybe the older batch had issues with power supplies and these are now being corrected by replacing case by case. Customer service and tech support is brilliant! Hoping the 2 new power units supplied Monday run a bit cooler and keep both lights running. Will report back with updates.

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Update 29/09/19*

*Please see my previous posts above*

Red sea sent me X2 replacement power supplies around 3 weeks ago. One to replace the broken PSU. One to replace the working PSU but I voiced my concern regarding operating temperature and was sent a new one to replace this unit. Both new PSU's installed outside of sump area and lights were both back up and running.

Fast forward to Friday (27/09/19)!

I received a notification via the reefbeat app telling me there was a connectivity issue early Friday morning with 1 light unit. Upon checking my tank 1 of the lights is off and the power supply (blue light) is also off. I unplugged unit and gave it 20 minutes to (cool down)! Plugged back in still no blue light on power supply. I then unplugged other working light unit and used that power supply with the light that failed. Low and behold the light unit switched on establishing the light unit is not at fault! I tested the power supply that had failed (no blue light) with a volt meter and it's dead!!!

This is the second power supply failure I have now had with these lights! Sent an email with all information to tech support but haven't heard anything back. This could be due to the weekend but you would expect 24/7 support! If I knew there would be issues I wouldn't of invested £750 in a pair on new lights and would have gone with another company.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble still! Fingers crossed Red Sea are able to sort it.

What light settings are you running? I dialled down from the preset 20k to 15k to decrease load on the power supplies, maybe that’s the difference?

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble still! Fingers crossed Red Sea are able to sort it.

What light settings are you running? I dialled down from the preset 20k to 15k to decrease load on the power supplies, maybe that’s the difference?

Cheers Dan! Hope so too mate beyond driving me up the wall!

Please see attached image. This is how I run mine. For me buying WiFi customisable led lights means exactly that! I want to be able to run them however I choose and not have to run them at a lower setting just to get them to function correctly. To me if that was the case I'd never dream of buying such lights. Appreciate your thoughts though cheers bud.

Screenshot_20190929_161534_com.hippotec.redsea.jpg

Hassan H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running the new ReefLED 90 lights? If so, can you tell me how hot your power supplies are when the lights are on?

I just setup 2 lights on a 425 XL and one of them died after about 3 hours. Upon inspection of the power supply it burned me pretty good when I touched it. I unplugged both lights immediately and found my infrared laser thermometer. I measured the temperature around 190° F on both supplies.

I measured the temp of a couple of my AI Hydra’s and they were only at 92°.

Did I just get unlucky and got two bad supplies? Or is there a larger problem with these lights?
I have the exact same problem. I also recently purchased a 450 reefer with 3 90 leds. The temperature of the power packs is ridiculously dangerous. I have had to remove the cabinet door and run a high power cooling fan constantly, as well as turning down my blues to 70%max and whites to 60%max which is impacting on my coral health.
really disappointed and fearful of a fire or my children touching the power packs and receiving burns.

image.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem. I also recently purchased a 450 reefer with 3 90 leds. The temperature of the power packs is ridiculously dangerous. I have had to remove the cabinet door and run a high power cooling fan constantly, as well as turning down my blues to 70%max and whites to 60%max which is impacting on my coral health.
really disappointed and fearful of a fire or my children touching the power packs and receiving burns.

image.jpg
Contact them, see what they say, and if they say it is fine, ask if they accept liability for any potential damages :). Power supplies should NOT be too hot to touch; the lifespan will be pretty short if that is the case.

I thought the lights looked cool, but always suggest skipping the first generation.

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can you please contact me? I would like to look into it.

I am having trouble with my ReefLED 90 too. It shows power and connectivity but won't turn on. The can't update the firmware because it's not connected. Won't even factory reset. What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble with my ReefLED 90 too. It shows power and connectivity but won't turn on. The can't update the firmware because it's not connected. Won't even factory reset. What should I do?
Easy, get in touch with Red Sea or where you bought it from.

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on a response from them....

Did you get this sorted?

After replacing my power supply for the 2nd time both of mine are working well. I have moved all my electronic equipment out of sump area just to be sure. Coral growth under these lights is great!

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get this sorted?

After replacing my power supply for the 2nd time both of mine are working well. I have moved all my electronic equipment out of sump area just to be sure. Coral growth under these lights is great!
They took care of it. Just needed to pull battery out to reset it since factory reset wasn't working.

drama1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just about to buy 3 of these for my 120.... too bad cant spend that much money on something and be afraid of it failing on me. Does anyone know if they accept this as a manufacturer defect and have resolved the issue? The answer shouldn't be to keep replacing the psu as people get burnt.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine and yeah I noticed the PSU gets a lil toasty , I have ran them 100% blue and white 15k and no issues and now i run 20k 100% blue and 50% white . My corals have really been loving these things , no other lights gave such a response from the coral ever imho its like MH up in here

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back