ReefLED Power Supply Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm DONE! I was one of the "early" ones effected in this thread. I bought my light on July 9th 2019, A rep for Red Sea told me it wasn't normal to be that hot and to return it while customer service said it was normal! After I returned it, a few weeks later the wifi disconnected and nothing worked as far as resetting it, deleting the app, setting it all back up etc. FINALLY I got it working after 2 days of it being worthless ad a brick. Now here we are, Feb 8th, 2020.... 6 month into this light.... Same issue... Now it won't even show online, won't do anything just like before. I've deleted the app and set it back up from scratch and NOTHING...
I'm finished with RS lights. The app is junk and it bleeds right into the software in the light... Never again RS... Stick to salt and test kits... I'll be taking this light right into my local reef store tomorrow so they can see what junk this has been.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had wifi issues too but now i just do it offline and connect to the lights directly. You have to connect to the lights individually but beats the headache of wifi issues.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, a little clarity for you regarding hot power supplies, There have been a few reports of the power supplies being overly hot, however, since this could be due to a number of different issues we are dealing with each case individually, including replacing parts as and when appropriate. if you believe you have an issue please submit a Tech Support Form https://www.redseafish.com/tech-support-inquiry/ as for the flickering again a few things worth mentioning, if you have cloud simulation loaded this can be seen as flickering, also if the LED is running hot for any reason the intensity is automatically reduced, this can also be seen as flickering, if you are concerned feel free to drop me an email to [email protected] and I will be happy to check the performence of your ReefLED Thank you.

This is becoming very frustrating. No updates and power supplies that cannot be trusted. If you remember I took mine back and swapped it in the store like your local rep told me to do if you look back. I leave this on its side exposing it to airflow as much as possible because I am worried about this thing catching on fire. It smells like burning electronics when the blue's are at 50% and the whites at 25%. In fact this temperature below was taken last night at 2113 at my light was getting very close to turning off. I either need to be able to return this light or something. Having two different lights with the same problem is unacceptable.

IMG_20200308_211134.jpg IMG_20200308_211211.jpg IMG_20200308_211303.jpg IMG_20200308_211329~2.jpg

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ly78
Question. You said connect to the lights directly.
As in with a cable? Or through a router? Or some other way? I ask because I can’t get the app to open and I would like to adjust the current time and put them in acclimate mode.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is becoming very frustrating. No updates and power supplies that cannot be trusted. If you remember I took mine back and swapped it in the store like your local rep told me to do if you look back. I leave this on its side exposing it to airflow as much as possible because I am worried about this thing catching on fire. It smells like burning electronics when the blue's are at 50% and the whites at 25%. In fact this temperature below was taken last night at 2113 at my light was getting very close to turning off. I either need to be able to return this light or something. Having two different lights with the same problem is unacceptable.

Did to send Kev a email to the link that he provided in that post?

if you are concerned feel free to drop me an email to [email protected]

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This seems to be an ongoing issue and concern since its' inception and I believe needs to be remedied sooner than later before it results in a fried tank or Fatality.
Replacing power packs is an alternative - NOT A SOLUTION !!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be an ongoing issue and concern since its' inception and I believe needs to be remedied sooner than later before it results in a fried tank or Fatality.
Replacing power packs is an alternative - NOT A SOLUTION !!!

Hey Tony,

Is this still a ongoing issue with new ones on the selves today?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Tony,

Is this still a ongoing issue with new ones on the selves today?
There was a recent post with someone who bought one in January with this issue thru local club

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a visit to my LFS the situation has been completely resolved. No worry of this happening for a 3rd time.
Big shout out to Triad Reef Critters in Greensboro, NC and the Red Sea Rep for this area for getting this rectified.
Did they replace the power supplies? What temperature are you getting now if they did?

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ly78
Question. You said connect to the lights directly.
As in with a cable? Or through a router? Or some other way? I ask because I can’t get the app to open and I would like to adjust the current time and put them in acclimate mode.
Use the app to connect direct to lights i mean. Not using home wifi.

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the app to connect direct to lights i mean. Not using home wifi.
Unfortunately as of my second attempt at deleting the app and reinstalling I cannot even get the app to load. It crashes every time I try to login. Going to try delegating and reinstalling again.

Okd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm DONE! I was one of the "early" ones effected in this thread. I bought my light on July 9th 2019, A rep for Red Sea told me it wasn't normal to be that hot and to return it while customer service said it was normal! After I returned it, a few weeks later the wifi disconnected and nothing worked as far as resetting it, deleting the app, setting it all back up etc. FINALLY I got it working after 2 days of it being worthless ad a brick. Now here we are, Feb 8th, 2020.... 6 month into this light.... Same issue... Now it won't even show online, won't do anything just like before. I've deleted the app and set it back up from scratch and NOTHING...
I'm finished with RS lights. The app is junk and it bleeds right into the software in the light... Never again RS... Stick to salt and test kits... I'll be taking this light right into my local reef store tomorrow so they can see what junk this has been.

I have been struggling with this same issue of connectivity and tried everything that has been suggested online as well as from customer service. Are we really expected to pay over $1000 for three lights that don't consistently work unless you take the thing apart and/or mess with the app for hours a week?!?!

I honestly never checked the power supply until I came saw this thread and I literally almost burned my finger and noticed that they had actually melted a zip lock bag that they were touching under my stand. So on top of being junk they literally almost burned my house down!!!!!

William: how did you get a refund?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates??

It was between kessil a360we or reefled90s, thank you for creating this thread folks. I’m spending my $ with kessil.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back