ReefLED Power Supply Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hot power supply problem came from an initial bad batch. There was a recent firmware update that fixed the connectivity issue in the new version of the Reef Beat app. We haven't had any issues with the 90 that came with daughter's E-170

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hot power supply problem came from an initial bad batch. There was a recent firmware update that fixed the connectivity issue in the new version of the Reef Beat app. We haven't had any issues with the 90 that came with daughter's E-170

oh really? Ahhhhh

I’ve got a 525xl, rsr recommend three 90s for me
When I went looking at the a360ae (comparable to the 90), BRS were recommending four for a four foot tank!!!

so my question is, can I grow a sps heavy 5 foot tank with three 90s?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a 4 part series on YouTube by Red Sea on lighting showing that YOU CAN grow sps with the 3 90s. Their research shows coral use the 360-480nm spectrum the most. So far, we have had good results on my daughter's E-170.

Okd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Red Sea and they told me it was an issue with my WiFi (we didn’t have problem with anything else even though my wife and I and two kids are home all day working/school/movies/video games) and I needed a WiFi extender, so I bought one and it didn’t help (but worth it since now I get WiFi even in my backyard hammock!). I have no idea what the settings are on the lights and couldn’t adjust them if I wanted to but they come on at 8 and turn off at 7 and things are growing well in my mixed feed tank so I’ve just accepted the situation.

They also told me I had to remove the power thing from the cabinet and document the temperature before they would consider replacing so Idid so and ran a small desk fan but had no way to check the temperature ( did they expect me to tape a thermometer to it?) but by chance the HVAC guy came to service my unit and had this temp gun and it read 145 degrees so obviously hot sitting outside the stand with fan blowing on it but ( probably?) not fire hazard.

In summary no way is purchase these lights and I’d return if I could but not worth literally throwing them away and replacing.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just insane. I hate it when support blames it on the user for poor design. Your LEDs have connectivity issues? It’s your home’s network fault even though this is the only piece of equipment you’re having issues with. The power brick is so hot you can’t touch it? Well it’s your fault for not having the bricks sitting on a custom heat sink and a fan.
Honestly not surprising considering Red Sea’s track record at handling faulty equipment.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Red Sea and they told me it was an issue with my WiFi (we didn’t have problem with anything else even though my wife and I and two kids are home all day working/school/movies/video games) and I needed a WiFi extender, so I bought one and it didn’t help (but worth it since now I get WiFi even in my backyard hammock!). I have no idea what the settings are on the lights and couldn’t adjust them if I wanted to but they come on at 8 and turn off at 7 and things are growing well in my mixed feed tank so I’ve just accepted the situation.

They also told me I had to remove the power thing from the cabinet and document the temperature before they would consider replacing so Idid so and ran a small desk fan but had no way to check the temperature ( did they expect me to tape a thermometer to it?) but by chance the HVAC guy came to service my unit and had this temp gun and it read 145 degrees so obviously hot sitting outside the stand with fan blowing on it but ( probably?) not fire hazard.

In summary no way is purchase these lights and I’d return if I could but not worth literally throwing them away and replacing.

wow!

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes agreed with connectivity issues. That is why i choose to connect to the lights direct instead of thru home wifi. My doser and AI fuge lights have no issues connecting.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes agreed with connectivity issues. That is why i choose to connect to the lights direct instead of thru home wifi. My doser and AI fuge lights have no issues connecting.
So there is an option to configure locally
Just that remotely it doesn’t work

how is the power supply on your end?

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is an option to configure locally
Just that remotely it doesn’t work

how is the power supply on your end?
Yes u can use the light wifi to connect direct to the Reefbeat app. But you have to do it individually for each light. Guess im lucky with the PSU , it does run hot but not that hot to the touch. Im only running max 80% blues 30% white btw.

Pea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Am new to forums, so please forgive me for piggy backing on this discussion, I came across it as I was looking for information on the reef led 90, I have 3 on my tank and have multiple problems with connectivity, and just recently 1 of my LEDs starting flickering when ramping up in the morning and when ramping down in the evening, I contacted Redsea and they said it was an led array that needed changing, they are sending a new one out and it seems simple enough to replace, but now am worried it might be something to do with the PSU as it was mentioned earlier in this discussion that people have noticed light flickering. My PSU do get hot but I have no way of measuring, has anybody else had an issue with the led array?

thanks Pea

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Am new to forums, so please forgive me for piggy backing on this discussion, I came across it as I was looking for information on the reef led 90, I have 3 on my tank and have multiple problems with connectivity, and just recently 1 of my LEDs starting flickering when ramping up in the morning and when ramping down in the evening, I contacted Redsea and they said it was an led array that needed changing, they are sending a new one out and it seems simple enough to replace, but now am worried it might be something to do with the PSU as it was mentioned earlier in this discussion that people have noticed light flickering. My PSU do get hot but I have no way of measuring, has anybody else had an issue with the led array?

thanks Pea
No flickering issues here.
For what it’s worth regarding connectivity. Long story short. Bought 2 RedSea gyres. I could not get them to connect no matter what I tried. Talked to an electrical engineering boss at work. We determined it was my internet speed and router. I never knew you router can only go as fast as the slowest device using it. After bumping up my data speed and purchasing my own modem and routers I have had no problems connecting. I went with a mesh network and added a second router that I only use for my aquariums.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! I had bought my 90s last black Friday from brs for my 120 build. After reading all about the power supplies heating up I was skeptical about hooking them up. I contacted red sea support and voiced my concerns. I was asked to provide a copy of the purchase invoice along with serial numbers for both lights as well as photos of the power supplies. I emailed all the requested info and was contacted the next day and assured that 2 new power supplies would be mailed to me. 2 days later I received a tracking number and within a week I had the new power supplies. I was extremely satisfied with the customer support experience. The new power supplies are much bigger than the original ones. The lights have been up for a few weeks and the power supplies are only slightly warm, no more so than any of my other power supplies. They are definitely not a safety concern for me anymore.

20200616_194955.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I had bought my 90s last black Friday from brs for my 120 build. After reading all about the power supplies heating up I was skeptical about hooking them up. I contacted red sea support and voiced my concerns. I was asked to provide a copy of the purchase invoice along with serial numbers for both lights as well as photos of the power supplies. I emailed all the requested info and was contacted the next day and assured that 2 new power supplies would be mailed to me. 2 days later I received a tracking number and within a week I had the new power supplies. I was extremely satisfied with the customer support experience. The new power supplies are much bigger than the original ones. The lights have been up for a few weeks and the power supplies are only slightly warm, no more so than any of my other power supplies. They are definitely not a safety concern for me anymore.

20200616_194955.jpg

That is great to hear that you got the improved power supply, but it is very concerning that it is a KNOWN safety issue to them on certain serial numbers and no announcements or recall has been done. That can very easily escalate to a legal issue if someone's catches on fire etc.

They should follow the example that Ecotech did on the cracking G5s- make an announcement to the public and offer the free solution.

spectra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well have 4 RS90s..............one power supply took a **** and was replaced...............came home today to another light not working right........power supplies are hot as hell..........took my BBQ thermo and touched one went to 145............

Ready to toss these and go another direction............

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
been an ongoing issue with these lights and RedSea needs to go to work and fix this Properly before someone has a fire and sues them

rene9898

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my 90 This weekend, Does anyone know if the fan kicks on right when the light cycle starts?

Or does the fan only turn on as necessary?

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my 90 This weekend, Does anyone know if the fan kicks on right when the light cycle starts?

Or does the fan only turn on as necessary?
I think it's only when necessary, but I can't even here mine when they are running.

SPS_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought three of Red Sea LED 90's a year ago and all three power supplies ran a little hot. Now 2 out of 3 lights are not working due to faulty power supplies. Waiting to hear back from redsea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back