Red Sea Reefled 50 out

collinnelson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning, got home from work yesterday and one of my Red Sea rl50s was out I plugged it into my other power supply and the light still works. I need a new power supply and Red Sea customer service isn’t open until Monday and I’m going to try to get it for free since the light has been turned on for only 13 months. I’m just wondering what I should do since I have only 1 light running and the spread only covers half the tank. (Btw I bumped the working light up to 100% intensity to make up for the lost light.)

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these as replacements for my RS led 90s power supply Same specs 1/3 price. And have the next day from Amazon. I keep a spare just in case too.

Attachments

• IMG_6015.png
    IMG_6015.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 29

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the ReefBeat app to see if it still has its program?

My 90 just randomly drops its programming.

I had to set everything back to factory and set up a new account with a new email to get it to work.

I had a custom setup but now I’m just running the 20K preset.

OP
OP
C

collinnelson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these as replacements for my RS led 90s power supply Same specs 1/3 price. And have the next day from Amazon. I keep a spare just in case too.
Thanks so much I just ordered one and can’t wait to get the other light up and running

OP
OP
C

collinnelson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the ReefBeat app to see if it still has its program?

My 90 just randomly drops its programming.

I had to set everything back to factory and set up a new account with a new email to get it to work.

I had a custom setup but now I’m just running the 20K preset.
Since I had 2 I unplugged my other light to try it on the light that I thought broke. And the light turned back on in the settings I set so that’s how I figured it was the power supply

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say. I have been running Red Sea lights for years and never had an issue. Except for general maintenance and expected power supply replacement. Key to any equipment is to do maintenance like shutting down light and cleaning fans and salt off them. Another thing is to replace back up batteries in lights every 18 months. This easy and cheap replacement keeps the program in lights even with power failures. You can look up the maintenance and how to on Red Sea website.

OP
OP
C

collinnelson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say. I have been running Red Sea lights for years and never had an issue. Except for general maintenance and expected power supply replacement. Key to any equipment is to do maintenance like shutting down light and cleaning fans and salt off them. Another thing is to replace back up batteries in lights every 18 months. This easy and cheap replacement keeps the program in lights even with power failures. You can look up the maintenance and how to on Red Sea website.
I should definitely look into getting battery back ups I’ve just been lazy and praying the power doesn’t go out we’ve lost power for a few hours at a time but nothing crazy in my 18 years of living in western ny but I should definitely get something bc u never know when it can happen

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should definitely look into getting battery back ups I’ve just been lazy and praying the power doesn’t go out we’ve lost power for a few hours at a time but nothing crazy in my 18 years of living in western ny but I should definitely get something bc u never know when it can happen
No I’m talking about the built in batter back ups in the lights themselves. It doesn’t run the lights if there is a power failure but keeps settings in place when power comes back on.

OP
OP
C

collinnelson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great! I’m about to pick up a spare just in case, better safe than sorry
Good call my corals weren’t the happiest and they still aren’t doing great with both lights but in time they should be fine bc it was 1 light cycle I ran 1 light. Having a backup is key to avoid this

OP
OP
C

collinnelson9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m talking about the built in batter back ups in the lights themselves. It doesn’t run the lights if there is a power failure but keeps settings in place when power comes back on.
I’ve never heard of that I’m gonna do some hw on it right now.

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning, got home from work yesterday and one of my Red Sea rl50s was out I plugged it into my other power supply and the light still works. I need a new power supply and Red Sea customer service isn’t open until Monday and I’m going to try to get it for free since the light has been turned on for only 13 months. I’m just wondering what I should do since I have only 1 light running and the spread only covers half the tank. (Btw I bumped the working light up to 100% intensity to make up for the lost light.)

My one suggestion when dealing with Red Sea. Look it over open it up take a video, of all the eternals. Also, red my post below.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back