WARNING: Sexy Shrimp are bad! (pics included)

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the one polyp survives to make a comeback. There are some sweet paly's. Yea and i saw your thread about the 50gal project. Good luck!

Steve :D

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ficklefins said:
Don't forget, just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean you should dismiss it as not being true.

This is true, I hope you don't think I was calling you a liar! :shock: :oops:

I have noticed in /some/ cases people have problems & jump to conclusions, take brissle worms, they love dead matter, people come home to find them wrapped around a dead fish & automatically think they killed the fish :roll:

Someone will always blame brissle worms as soon as someone else posts they have a dead half eaten fish in their tank!

Dwarf Angels are a prime example of some do & some don't when it comes to coral munching? So as above if my first post seemed to be harsh its not quite how it was meant to come across.....

Most shrimps are scavengers, so I could add maybe they weren't/aren't getting enough to eat, therefore went for a coral snack, once tasted decided they liked this freely available snack? And like my wife always pick the rare & expensive first! :lol: :lol:

Hope you sort your problem either way

Cheers Shelton.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shultz said:
ficklefins said:
Don't forget, just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean you should dismiss it as not being true.

And like my wife always pick the rare & expensive first! :lol: :lol:

Well jeez, what else would we want, the cheap and common? That's like picking Anna Nicole Smith over Jennifer Aniston...

<giggle>
Laurie

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shultz said:
I hope you don't think I was calling you a liar! :shock: :oops:

No bad feelings from this side of the pond Shultz. I actually wanted to make sure I got my experience out there because just 2 months ago I was calling these guys saints, and that everybody should have some.

UPDATE:

Well I caught the last shrimp, but not before he did more damage. This time he chewed the tentacles off another zoanthid, and was doing some major damage to another colony. I got home to find him hovering over a colony of my PHE. The good news is that I was able to keep this one alive and he is getting a new home. A buddy is going to pick him up today and put him in his nano tank.

In the end everybody wins!

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, shrimp are all gone and it turns out that the last one to go was the zoa eater! At least he got a new home.

Now for some damage pics:

He had a good meal out of these tentacles:
green_damage.jpg

Hard to see, but you can tell the skirts don't look uniform on this one:
Blue_kisses_damage.jpg

Now the healing process. By the next day this little guy had closed up the hole and kept on glowing like nothing happened.

healing_well.jpg

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an update how your Zoa's are doing now m8?

Cheers Shelton.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the zoas and paly that were attacked by the shrimp have made a full recovery. In the near future I am going to get a picture of those damaged zoas along with my new setup.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, I gave the shrimp to a coworker who told me the other day that the shrimp is still attacking zoas and palys in his system. Luckily he has two tanks so he is going to make a zoa/paly free shrimp tank.

KristiDave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sexy shrimp hangs out with my hammer coral. he hasnt gone near my zoas, however I put 3 peppermint shrimp in the tank...my LFS said "oh they are great cleaner shrimp" they nearly killed my hammer. Peppermints are now in the "PIT OF MISERY, DILLY DILLY!" Otherwise known as the refugium.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back