Was my vacation a mistake?

Guillermo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a one day trip to Chicago last weekend and did not have anyone available to turn on my aquarium light I also did not have it on a automatic timer. The light in the aquarium was off for approximately 26 hours, I come back and tend to my tank and all the corals are fine except for my Euphyllia seems like they are very stressed and don't even want to open up. It's been a week now, do I need to give them more time to open up? Whats your guys opinion...

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a one day trip to Chicago last weekend and did not have anyone available to turn on my aquarium light I also did not have it on a automatic timer. The light in the aquarium was off for approximately 26 hours, I come back and tend to my tank and all the corals are fine except for my Euphyllia seems like they are very stressed and don't even want to open up. It's been a week now, do I need to give them more time to open up? Whats your guys opinion...

Seems somewhat unlikely that your one day trip without lights would create so much havoc. I was away all weekend and it was unexpectedly hot, so I shut my lights down remotely for 3 days to reduce heat. Nothing seems even somewhat distressed today.

Did you check all your other parameters?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day with the lights off shouldn’t cause that type of stress. I agree with the parameters check. Have you changed anything before you left or since? What size tank and when was your last water change?

OP
OP
Guillermo4

Guillermo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day with the lights off shouldn’t cause that type of stress. I agree with the parameters check. Have you changed anything before you left or since? What size tank and when was your last water change?
I have a 20 gallon tank and did a 25% water change once I got back, I will do another water change tomorrow. As well as double check my parameters because everything was normal when I checked them.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have pretty small water column before the next change do the parameter check... euphyllia can be fickle, how long have you had them in the tank for? Are you using RODI water?

OP
OP
Guillermo4

Guillermo4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have pretty small water column before the next change do the parameter check... euphyllia can be fickle, how long have you had them in the tank for? Are you using RODI water?
I have had them in my tank for over a year now. I am not using RODI water yet becuase my RODI system is old and I am waiting for a TDS meter to come in to make sure it is still good. I have been using distilled water in the mean time.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, just pull your parameters before changing anything else. Keep us posted:)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back