Was surprised w/Damselfish - Now what?

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my wife if she could pick up some brine at the LFS for me on the way home!
Came home to find 4 bags being floated in the what was the empty QT I had running.
Thanked the Mrs, grabbed a beer and looked ......4 -Three Spot Domino and 4 - Blue's (not the Fiji blue devil).

Over It Reaction GIF by X Factor Global

I tried to explained to her that those guys are usually aggressive toward themselves and other...literally total ;Rage;Vamp
But "They were inexpensive and cute" I must admit, they are!

After reading more on them...I'm incline to returning them to the LFS then running the risk in the DT.
Don't need another bully (cough cough...yellow tang)

Knowing every fish has unique personality...what has been the R2R community on these guys in say a 125G tank?
Concern with the smaller / docile fishes - Firefish, Chromis, Cardinals and a pair of small clowns.

Gracias!

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my wife if she could pick up some brine at the LFS for me on the way home!
Came home to find 4 bags being floated in the what was the empty QT I had running.
Thanked the Mrs, grabbed a beer and looked ......4 -Three Spot Domino and 4 - Blue's (not the Fiji blue devil).

Over It Reaction GIF by X Factor Global

I tried to explained to her that those guys are usually aggressive toward themselves and other...literally total ;Rage;Vamp
But "They were inexpensive and cute" I must admit, they are!

After reading more on them...I'm incline to returning them to the LFS then running the risk in the DT.
Don't need another bully (cough cough...yellow tang)

Knowing every fish has unique personality...what has been the R2R community on these guys in say a 125G tank?
Concern with the smaller / docile fishes - Firefish, Chromis, Cardinals and a pair of small clowns.

Gracias!
Trust your gut.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for the brine eh? Lol. If it was me, I’d take them back. Even as chill as Chromis are, they grow, grow up and then get attitudes. A year from now you’ll want to purchase a new delicate fish and one or more of them will not have it! Cute now. But your call. Good luck.

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Domino in my 75 gallon and had to get rid of him. He got too big and extremely aggressive. He was bullying all the fish, even the ones bigger than him. We sold him back to our LFS. I won’t own another one.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not want the dominos, you'll have to trust me. The 'blues', it depends what species. Some damsels are actually really good community fish. The dominos, 3 stripe, and 4 stripe are in a the nasty genus Dascyllus.

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two DDs that we had to bring back because they dominated the tank.

But we have 5 yellow tail damsels and they're a little aggressive but don't really bother the clowns or dottybacks. Mostly they just get to the food faster so I have to lure them to the opposite side of the tank from where the clowns host an anemone. That usually gets the feeding spread out.

IMG_20210415_134757.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...looks like it's a consensus and what I thought!
I'll be pulling them out of QT today or tomorrow and a trip to the LFS.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would just monitor. I have three striped damsels that are quite peaceful in a Red Sea 140 and they share with a clown and a hobby. Zero aggression. You just never know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues might be ok, depends what they actually are. Dascyllus genus are best avoided. There are always cases where even the most aggressive fish can work, and the least not, but I’d always look to the common experience.

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty much sure the blue damsel is this one!
Yesterday I did see one change color to a much darker shade...almost like a dark gray black tone.
My damsels were dark when I first brought them home too. They brightened up after a few days though

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%

Back