Washing sand?

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm new, and I'm starting a 20g saltwater aquarium, and I've seen alot of people wash there sand, do you need to wash your sand?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding, people suggest washing the sand to prevent it from clouding up the tank water when you first add it. Also, to my understanding, if you're reusing old sand, rinsing it also helps clean it out so it doesn't harm your new tank.

For some heavy reading on the topic for anyone interested:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP didn't state what sand they are using. Bagged dry, bagged wet with bacteria, old, new, etc. Sort of matters.

Then again you will get all kinds of answers none of which we will agree upon as we all have our own methods. I would not recommend rinsing bagged, wet, sand with bacteria. If you did it would be a waste of money since you are paying the premium for "bacteria" or whatever is in the bag. For example this sand:
CaribSea - Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturers say don't. Just run a mechanical filter and it will clear up on its own

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse it out. It won’t hurt anything, and the bacteria will come from corals and live rocks anyway.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP didn't state what sand they are using. Bagged dry, bagged wet with bacteria, old, new, etc. Sort of matters.

Then again you will get all kinds of answers none of which we will agree upon as we all have our own methods. I would not recommend rinsing bagged, wet, sand with bacteria. If you did it would be a waste of money since you are paying the premium for "bacteria" or whatever is in the bag. For example this sand:
CaribSea - Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
I agree we will all never agree but I will say I’ve always used Caribsea arag- alive and I’ve not rinsed it and on the upgrade tank I did rinse it.
2 things and then I’m out ;),
1. This sand is cheaper than most options if purchased online through Petco when sales run. At least for my experience.
2. I will never not rinse new sand again! The first tank was nothing but clouds of dust with a sand burrowing wrasse even after 2 years and lots of sand vacuuming. The upgraded tank I rinsed it and it took forever but well worth it. A year later and still dust free.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always used the live stuff in the past but this last bag I tried to dry. I highly recommend rinsing it first. I couldn't believe how much water and how long it took just to get it to look acceptable.

Going forward I'm just going to use the live stuff. I don't rinse these and water is clear overnight. Not really worth all that work to save $7 and change for 40lbs of sand.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree we will all never agree but I will say I’ve always used Caribsea arag- alive and I’ve not rinsed it and on the upgrade tank I did rinse it.
2 things and then I’m out ;),
1. This sand is cheaper than most options if purchased online through Petco when sales run. At least for my experience.
2. I will never not rinse new sand again! The first tank was nothing but clouds of dust with a sand burrowing wrasse even after 2 years and lots of sand vacuuming. The upgraded tank I rinsed it and it took forever but well worth it. A year later and still dust free.
Drysand

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would take what "manufacturers" say with a huge scoop of proverbial salt.

Dry sand? Rinse out the dust.
Live sand? For the love of god RINSE! Even if it is in tank water. The last time I added LS without rinsing I ended up with a runaway phyotplankton bloom that only a UV-filter could stop!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought perhaps some bags settle more in holding and shipping than others, making for a gradient of tanks that begin at self-clears in 48 hours all the way up to complete opacity blotout lol and don't clear until rinsed

because there's variation bag to bag and I don't want to be on the bad end, rinsing all sand before use is the way to go. there's just no benefit in providing a clouding substance to a reef tank, we generate enough of that naturally and the interstices in the tank only hold so much mass. you get longer longevity before eutrophication/waste locking with a good habit of bed rinsing ability. it's the ultimate age reset for a reef tank, you just wash out 1000% of the pent up waste then continue on with the same sand (occasionally take apart a reef tank and deep clean it, to ensure old age) over and over. it prevents reef tank aging to be effective at sand rinsing new + aging systems. it is the absolute cure to old tank syndrome. it imparts unlimited biological lifespan to reef tanks to occasionally blast them completely free of waste, like a trip to the dentist power washes and scrapes out a mouth

CubanHogFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread died a while back, But i have a question about rinsing old sand that was stored for about 7 years ago originally from a tank i had set up, now I'm getting back in the hobby but don't know if its ok to rinse the sand with just a garden hose (tap water) or do i have use R/O water to do so and do i have to wait for the sand to dry if i use just a garden hose

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread died a while back, But i have a question about rinsing old sand that was stored for about 7 years ago originally from a tank i had set up, now I'm getting back in the hobby but don't know if its ok to rinse the sand with just a garden hose (tap water) or do i have use R/O water to do so and do i have to wait for the sand to dry if i use just a garden hose
I would only use rodi water but others may think differently I also would just buy new instead of old but can't say if the old sand would hurt anything or not

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed my sand in tap water and did one final rinse in RO

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back