Watanabei not turning male?

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
47
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year, neither of my two Watanabei Angels in my 180g are turning male? One is a good deal larger than the other and dominates it, but I wonder if the tangs are suppressing the change as my Purple and Achilles are the two dominant fish in the tank. This would be odd as I see neither of those fish pay any attention to the Angels at all. I do know they were chased by my Regal tang for about the first 6 months until I removed that fish.

Are they 'locked in' as female now? I've read discussion on them locking into a gender once male (terminal?) but I thought any female can switch no matter the size of the fish.
 
Are they 'locked in' as female now? I've read discussion on them locking into a gender once male (terminal?) but I thought any female can switch no matter the size of the fish.
I’ve had a full male Bellus, revert back to female, (and its color pattern was different than its original female pattern), when a larger male Lamarck was introduced.
 
After a year, neither of my two Watanabei Angels in my 180g are turning male? One is a good deal larger than the other and dominates it, but I wonder if the tangs are suppressing the change as my Purple and Achilles are the two dominant fish in the tank. This would be odd as I see neither of those fish pay any attention to the Angels at all. I do know they were chased by my Regal tang for about the first 6 months until I removed that fish.

Are they 'locked in' as female now? I've read discussion on them locking into a gender once male (terminal?) but I thought any female can switch no matter the size of the fish.

I'm in the same boat. I have two Watanabei, they are not the dominant fish in the tank but are largely left alone. One of the Watanabei is larger and more aggressive than the other but both fish have remained 'female'. It's been a year.

I've heard some folks say that having 3 increases the chances of a male. I've also heard people say it's not uncommon for them to not change and I've also heard that if you for example had 2 and the female dies, the male could revert. I have not heard about them being locked - so that's interesting. I have no personal experience with any of these claims outside of what I've observed with my two.

I still have hope that one will change. Either way they are some of my favorite fish in the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new