Watch us "frag" these plate corals!

Pieces of the Ocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2011
Messages
11,305
Reaction score
6,484
Location
New York
Rating - 100%
6   0   0


Please note that not all plates can be fragged this way. Only those in the Diaseris genus as shown in the video, which are the species Diaseris fragilis, possess wedge-shaped sections which readily break apart. Likely a reproductive strategy in the wild evolved over time. Corals also get tossed and chewed by wrasses, parrotfish and large triggers.

Below shows skeletal structures showing naturally occurring fracture lines.
0133_BW02_01
0133_BW05_01
 
Really cool and educational video! Thanks for sharing.
 
I have some plates. They are beautiful and pretty circular. I would like more but am afraid if I smash them they will die rather than break into nice frags 😂
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new