Water Change Every second

YuliusPaembong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank capacity is 500 liters. i use filtration from deadrock.skimmer and kaldnes. I am acropora growth growth and most of the LPS. I don't use a large 3 measuring device because I use a 50 liter water change system every day with air coming in and out every second. What I'm worried about is that my Big 3 level won't be able to keep up with what's being absorbed by the reef? please input thank you every 14 days I take the air around the uninhabited beach. I keep air in the air reservoir by providing an aerator to keep the water moving and not hot. and I also want to ask if I should take a dose like amino or not? thanks.
20200908_190551.jpg
20200910_064457.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your post correctly you are not monitoring alkalinity, calcium and magnesium?
And you are not monitoring it because you are doing daily water changes? And I'm guessing your daily water changes are about 10%?

If I understand your post correctly I would say you do need to be monitoring "the big 3" once or twice a week. Maybe more. You'll need to decide on the results you get whether to start dosing of alternately increasing the size of water changes. Also, since you appear to be getting water from a realatively clean source your testing may indicate you can do smaller water changes

OP
OP
YuliusPaembong

YuliusPaembong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sir. Sorry my English is not good. I use google translate.
I think whether in the future my Big 3 level will still be same or will it decrease? If they have grown a lot, because of the continuous water change. my nsw is ca 450 kh 6.2 mg 1350 and always the same never changes. What I fear is the absorption capacity of acropora if it grows big, Big 3 only when changing the water will not be able to hold that number and will down every time. Im scare because im not have dose big 3.
And 1 more question. If i water change with nsw i need dose for amino acid,food or etc? Because my nutrient no3 0ppm po4 0ppm. ULNS systems

OP
OP
YuliusPaembong

YuliusPaembong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your post correctly you are not monitoring alkalinity, calcium and magnesium?
And you are not monitoring it because you are doing daily water changes? And I'm guessing your daily water changes are about 10%?

If I understand your post correctly I would say you do need to be monitoring "the big 3" once or twice a week. Maybe more. You'll need to decide on the results you get whether to start dosing of alternately increasing the size of water changes. Also, since you appear to be getting water from a realatively clean source your testing may indicate you can do smaller water changes

I think whether in the future my Big 3 level will still be same or will it decrease? If they have grown a lot, because of the continuous water change. my nsw is ca 450 kh 6.2 mg 1350 and always the same never changes. What I fear is the absorption capacity of acropora if it grows big, Big 3 only when changing the water will not be able to hold that number and will down every time. Im scare because im not have dose big 3.
And 1 more question. If i water change with nsw i need dose for amino acid,food or etc? Because my nutrient no3 0ppm po4 0ppm. ULNS systems

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Yulius

Welcome to R2R.

You can study the effect of your continuous water change with this calculator :

Should you dose something then you'll get the idea on how that particular item you dosed got diluted over time or added. We're not talking about consumption, just the concept of addition/dilution.

NSW comes with all the goodies and the bad, but I'm sure you have considered them with your decision. Nothing's wrong.

Happy reefing, brah.

OP
OP
YuliusPaembong

YuliusPaembong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waaww... like it.. so man
Hi Yulius

Welcome to R2R.

Should you dose something then you'll get the idea on how that particular item you dosed got diluted over time or added. We're not talking about consumption, just the concept of addition/dilution.

NSW comes with all the goodies and the bad, but I'm sure you have considered them with your decision. Nothing's wrong.

Happy reefing, brah.
Wawww..like that.. so many thank you sir for u help‍♂️

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What you are doing seems to be working very well though judging from your picture so I would not be making major changes.

Since you are doing continuous water changes with natural sea water you may be adding organic forms of nitrogen and phosphorus and or particulate forms of nitrogen and phosphate. Neither organic or particulate nitrogen and phosphate will show on most test kits. I don't know what test kits you have but my guess is your nitrate test kit is only testing for nitrate which is just one of the inorganic forms of nitrogen. My guess is the same with your phoshpate test kit also. So it sounds to me like you don't really have any good way of keeping track of what's going on in your system.

To get a better understanding of what you are doing and what your corals are doing you will have to do some carefull experiementing. The link in the above post on water changes calculator will help.

For alkalinity you can use baking soda which you should be able to get locally. If you can find epsom salts it will provide magnesium. Calcium carbonate is used for brewing beer so it might be available locally if there are any breweries around. You also have lots of coral sand available you can use by grinding it in a hand coffee grinder. Be sure the sand and the coffee grinder are both very clean. If this is an option for you keep in mind it will provide alkalinity, calcium and magnesium so if you are deficient with just one you may get too much of one of the others.

OP
OP
YuliusPaembong

YuliusPaembong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Yulius

Welcome to R2R.

Happy reefing, brah.
So many thanks sir

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered one thing.
You didn't mention about ATO system. Yet you mentioned about new NSW pumped continuously into your system.
Then you might want to monitor salinity very closely.

Happy reefing

OP
OP
YuliusPaembong

YuliusPaembong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are doing seems to be working very well though judging from your picture so I would not be making major changes.

Since you are doing continuous water changes with natural sea water you may be adding organic forms of nitrogen and phosphorus and or particulate forms of nitrogen and phosphate. Neither organic or particulate nitrogen and phosphate will show on most test kits. I don't know what test kits you have but my guess is your nitrate test kit is only testing for nitrate which is just one of the inorganic forms of nitrogen. My guess is the same with your phoshpate test kit also. So it sounds to me like you don't really have any good way of keeping track of what's going on in your system.

To get a better understanding of what you are doing and what your corals are doing you will have to do some carefull experiementing. The link in the above post on water changes calculator will help.

For alkalinity you can use baking soda which you should be able to get locally. If you can find epsom salts it will provide magnesium. Calcium carbonate is used for brewing beer so it might be available locally if there are any breweries around. You also have lots of coral sand available you can use by grinding it in a hand coffee grinder. Be sure the sand and the coffee grinder are both very clean. If this is an option for you keep in mind it will provide alkalinity, calcium and magnesium so if you are deficient with just one you may get too much of one of the others.
for a while I use the Salifert test tool and the results are always the same parameter level as my NSW. the problem is whether in the future we will still be able to pursue these parameters by changing the water, or whether we have to use a dose device. so I can prepare from now on, like learning how to use the automatic dose device. My nutritional levels are all at 0ppm without fish

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back