Water change for biocube

DavidGiang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, rookie here. I recently got a 29/32 oceanic biocube. Wondering how often folks are doing water changes? I’ve heard 10% a week, none, 25%. Thoughts?
4a29dc09115ad45acfac5c09a8717dc6.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, rookie here. I recently got a 29/32 oceanic biocube. Wondering how often folks are doing water changes? I’ve heard 10% a week, none, 25%. Thoughts?

Welcome to R2R and to reefing!!! There are many different answers to your question and plenty of variables such as your type of filtration, age of the tank, etc. At a high level, 4-5 gallons per week for a ~30g should be a reasonable place to start and then pay attention to your regular water tests to make adjustments. Good luck!

jisc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 gallon every 2 weeks. When I was doing more water changes I had worse algae and then a nasty case of Dino’s that wiped out tank. Now running smoothly

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 gallon every 2 weeks. When I was doing more water changes I had worse algae and then a nasty case of Dino’s that wiped out tank. Now running smoothly
When u add water Re you using rodi water, tap water or box water? I dont have an rodi system and so I'm wondering If you use tap water. I was thinking about just changing the water with the Pacific ocean water hour buy at petco but 14 bucks each weeks adds up.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When u add water Re you using rodi water, tap water or box water? I dont have an rodi system and so I'm wondering If you use tap water. I was thinking about just changing the water with the Pacific ocean water hour buy at petco but 14 bucks each weeks adds up.

In virtually all cases you will want to stay away from tap water. Ocean water is tempting but it can bring plenty of risks. You are better off with RODI water either from an LFS or from your own RODI system. Many people find that the cost of the RODI more than pays for itself in the long run.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In virtually all cases you will want to stay away from tap water. Ocean water is tempting but it can bring plenty of risks. You are better off with RODI water either from an LFS or from your own RODI system. Many people find that the cost of the RODI more than pays for itself in the long run.
Yes I wont do tap water. My concern with an rodi system is the waste. I've heard for every gallon of rodi water you have to throw 3 gallons of waste away. Just had knee surgery awhile back and still sort off recuperating. My take is in my man gave in the attic.That would be a lot of work. I'm not scared of work by any means just dont wanna injury it before its healed do you mind if I ask what risk u run into with the ocean water. I figured that would be the best thing for them. I'm a noob though and still learning. I appreciate your time. One more thing my lfs told me to buy a reef tester kit. Which I did, I asked him if I should get the saltwater master kit as well so I could test the ph. He said I didn't need it. To me that makes no sense. I was looking around and seen these little square charts that sit in the tank and read your ph for a year. I was thinking about getting that just as a reference they also have an ammonia one too Just thought about it. There is a mom and pop store I could buy the water from them. I was in there the other day and he had an amazing selection of everything you can tell it's his passion so I'm figuring the water is good. Would that be better? . Sorry for the long message lol

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I agree that it is important to take care of you both now and for the long haul. The RODI waste can be repurposed and there are water saver features that can bring that ratio close to 1:1. Although some people are a fan of the test badges, I have always reverted to test kits even though they aren't without there own issues. You may want to start with the water from the LFS and then move to your own RODI system in the future - either way can be a reasonable approach - you just need to find out which of those work better for you.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree that it is important to take care of you both now and for the long haul. The RODI waste can be repurposed and there are water saver features that can bring that ratio close to 1:1. Although some people are a fan of the test badges, I have always reverted to test kits even though they aren't without there own issues. You may want to start with the water from the LFS and then move to your own RODI system in the future - either way can be a reasonable approach - you just need to find out which of those work better for you.
Yeah that's what my conclusion has come to. It seems different things work for different ppl. I plan on buying a house. When I do that I will be investing in a rodi system. I think I will use those window testers that last for a year as a reference and continue to test the water regularly. I think I would like having that window testers as a piece of mind. Thanks for the help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back