Water Change interval for FOWLR

luca5927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a fully cycled 15-gallon FOWLR tank with 1 clownfish. My gear is an aquaclear 70 (30 impeller) refugium with chaeto, surface and protein skimmer, powerhead, and a heater. I am currently at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a tiny amount of nitrate that seems to keep going down as the days go on (0-5). My question is what would be a realistic water change schedule. I have fresh water tanks that go up to a month without a water change, is that type of thing realistic for a FOWLR tank?

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a fully cycled 15-gallon FOWLR tank with 1 clownfish. My gear is an aquaclear 70 (30 impeller) refugium with chaeto, surface and protein skimmer, powerhead, and a heater. I am currently at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a tiny amount of nitrate that seems to keep going down as the days go on (0-5). My question is what would be a realistic water change schedule. I have fresh water tanks that go up to a month without a water change, is that type of thing realistic for a FOWLR tank?
It's really up to you and what levels you're trying to maintain. I had my 75 gal fowlr for 5 years doing every other week and kept nitrates at ~30 with phosphate at who knows because i don't test it. Now this was back in the olden days with wet dry trickle filters and such with no fuge.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should point out I had some messy eaters, as well. I had a humu humu trigger fish, porcupine puffer, a hawkfish, along with a couple of clowns, and an angel fish.

OP
OP
L

luca5927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater side of things, but if my nitrates don't ever rise past 10ppm and I reduce water changes to once a month do I have to dose any other additives. (the salt i use is instant ocean)

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its truly a fish only tank I think you will be just fine with monthly changes and the stocking you have. If you want to start trying out corals you may need to go more frequently.
As a rule of thumb try to keep your nitrates under 50 and phosphate under 1.0 for a FOWLR tank.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have to dose any additives either. Your water changes should balance out your low needs on a tank with a only few snails and crabs.
One thing I would recommend is to mix your salt water a day ahead. Fresh salt is quite caustic and rough on fish.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your tank is fully cycled, I bet if you did 2 weeks, then stretched it to 3 weeks, then a month, your FOWLR fish will still be happy. Maybe have an ammonia badge in case something goes screwy, but more or less if your nitrates and ammonia are good, you’re good. Beyond that, basically algae or frequently dirty glass will tell you what you need to know in a FOWLR. Best wishes!

OP
OP
L

luca5927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my water daily and it now consistently reads 0ppm for ammo, nitrite, and nitrate with the salifert kit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back