Water change mixing station

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most people use the brute garbage pails but one of those is going to make me hate water changes the way my house is set up. Are there any of the normal rubbermaid type bins that are safe to use or is buying another 40 breeder pretty much my only option?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a rectangular plastic container I got from home depot - 27 gallon brand HDX - but they have other sizes.
Says it's made of polypropylene, which seems to be considered safe from what I've read

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most people use the brute garbage pails but one of those is going to make me hate water changes the way my house is set up. Are there any of the normal rubbermaid type bins that are safe to use or is buying another 40 breeder pretty much my only option?
What would make you hate water changes

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of thoughts which I hope can be helpful.

First, lot of folks choose the Brute containers because they’re known not to leach chemicals into the water. But my sense is that if you’re only using it for mixing and not long term storage then most any container where you’d be comfortable storing freshwater and drinking from it should be okay.

Second, how large is your water change? I have a 120G and can only make a max of 30G at one time. I also don’t store.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Container should not matter much. 5/8 ID hose from amazon is not expensive. Get a used PanWorld or BlueLine pump and plumb it to mix in the container and also pump down that hose when you need it. If you can get that container up high, then install a ball valve for gravity drain too.

I have square 55g ag containers - one for RO and one for salt. PanWorld on each one. The RO just has a hose attached to it as well as a pipe to fill up the salt container right next to it. The salt container has the pump recirculate from bottom-up and then also a valve to pump the water down the hose.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back