Water change pump advice

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

So I am looking for a good inexpensive submersible pump to use in the 5 gal buckets (on the floor) to move water to the tank during water changes. Currently my husband holds the bucket up high for gravity siphoning or we use the return pump which is slow and not convenient to remove from the chamber each water change.
What would be a good GPH to give us decent water movement but not blast water into the tank? our tank is a 32 Biocube.

Here are an option on amazon I was considering. I like this one because it looks like it has a lever to change the flow speed

but I would love input from others, if they have one they love that stays in the $30 or less range.

Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey!

So I am looking for a good inexpensive submersible pump to use in the 5 gal buckets (on the floor) to move water to the tank during water changes. Currently my husband holds the bucket up high for gravity siphoning or we use the return pump which is slow and not convenient to remove from the chamber each water change.
What would be a good GPH to give us decent water movement but not blast water into the tank? our tank is a 32 Biocube.

Here are an option on amazon I was considering. I like this one because it looks like it has a lever to change the flow speed

but I would love input from others, if they have one they love that stays in the $30 or less range.

Thanks!

I would tend NOT to use this one for a couple reasons - 1. Its unclear whether there are metal parts inside - that could eventually rust, etc. 2. Its a big pump.

I use a regular return pump like a Sicce. You can get whatever size/flow you want - and you can also use the pump (with no hose attached) - to mix your saltwater in whatever container you are using. I own the pump you're looking at as well - for the pond outside - I think that will be too much flow.

One way to consider how to make water changes easier - is to use a python attached to your sink - or gravity I you can - and siphon out the water using this (including any detritus, etc) - you can then unscrew the python - and screw it on to the pump - and merely re-fill. No carrying either way, etc.

One more thing - I don't know how you mix your salt - many state (whether true or not I dont know) - mixing over night is preferred to just stirring it in a bucket and putting it in.

Good luck whatever you decide

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect the pump you reference would work fine but could have issues as stated by MnFish1. At 800 GPH it may be a bit overkill but that will be reduced some from the head heigh. I looked at a Sicce 48 watt rated at 714 GPH and the head heigh is about 10 ft. Another thing I would think about is do you need a backup pump for anything else on your tank that you could get the back-up and use that and then you know you have a backup in case there are any issues down the line - 2 birds 1 stone....

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend NOT to use this one for a couple reasons - 1. Its unclear whether there are metal parts inside - that could eventually rust, etc. 2. Its a big pump.

I use a regular return pump like a Sicce. You can get whatever size/flow you want - and you can also use the pump (with no hose attached) - to mix your saltwater in whatever container you are using. I own the pump you're looking at as well - for the pond outside - I think that will be too much flow.

One way to consider how to make water changes easier - is to use a python attached to your sink - or gravity I you can - and siphon out the water using this (including any detritus, etc) - you can then unscrew the python - and screw it on to the pump - and merely re-fill. No carrying either way, etc.

One more thing - I don't know how you mix your salt - many state (whether true or not I dont know) - mixing over night is preferred to just stirring it in a bucket and putting it in.

Good luck whatever you decide
Thanks for the insight.. What would be the minimum GPH you would recommend to get from the bucket to the tank?

We use gravity to siphon out of the tank and I don't mind this because we vacuum the sand bed etc. It's getting the water back into the tank that is a pain. The stock return pump for the biocube is a little slower than I would like for this purpose.

As far as mixing. I usually try to do it the night before or at the very least in the AM and do the water change in the PM. We mix it in five gallon buckets. I have been mixing using an extra TUNZE power head that was sized to large for the flow I ended up wanting and an extra heater to bring it to temperature.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect the pump you reference would work fine but could have issues as stated by MnFish1. At 800 GPH it may be a bit overkill but that will be reduced some from the head heigh. I looked at a Sicce 48 watt rated at 714 GPH and the head heigh is about 10 ft. Another thing I would think about is do you need a backup pump for anything else on your tank that you could get the back-up and use that and then you know you have a backup in case there are any issues down the line - 2 birds 1 stone....
I like this idea as far as repurposing if we find ourselves needing to replace the current return.... however I would say this is going to end up being more than the $30. HAHAHA which is ok in the long run. I just keep spending way more, overall, than I thought we would when we got this tank for our son. It has now become a new outlet and energy focus for me and I am enjoying it probably (definitely) way more than he is. LOL

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the insight.. What would be the minimum GPH you would recommend to get from the bucket to the tank?

We use gravity to siphon out of the tank and I don't mind this because we vacuum the sand bed etc. It's getting the water back into the tank that is a pain. The stock return pump for the biocube is a little slower than I would like for this purpose.

As far as mixing. I usually try to do it the night before or at the very least in the AM and do the water change in the PM. We mix it in five gallon buckets. I have been mixing using an extra TUNZE power head that was sized to large for the flow I ended up wanting and an extra heater to bring it to temperature.
are you just using a 5 gallon bucket?

Do you have a saltwater holding tank? Or are you just mixing bucket by bucket (if its bucket by bucket - its a different answer).

Anyway - I use a Sicce Silent 2.0 - which has a hose adapter. There are lots of pumps out there.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Do you have a saltwater holding tank? Or are you just mixing bucket by bucket (if its bucket by bucket - its a different answer).

Anyway - I use a Sicce Silent 2.0 - which has a hose adapter. There are lots of pumps out there.
I meant to say - the pump you chose only has a 6 foot head height. I don't know if that means - the maximum flow is at 800 gallons is at 6 feet - or the pump doesnt function above 6 feet (which would be 'odd'). It looks like you use a bucket - one thing to consider - is the volume of the pump itself in the bucket - make sure to look at the 'sizes'. OR - you can also get a pump that has the ability to attach 2 hoses - one you can put in the bucket - the second you can put into the output of the pump - so that you're not taking up a third of the volume of the bucket with the pump.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes we have lots of 5 gal buckets :) No holding tank, so water changes are bucket by bucket. usually 5 or 10 gals worth, every Friday night, fun times in our household :p lol.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be better off getting a 15-20 gallon Brute garbage can for water changes.
As far as a pump is concerned - an oversized pump can be controlled with a valve to get the right flow.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Quiet One 2200 or 3000 - about 60 bucks, safe and powerful enough for what you are doing. They come with barb fittings for multiple hose sizes.

There are no shortage of pumps that can do this kind of work. Look used if you are in a large enough town to have a used market.

iman7045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these wavemakers from amazon when i make small batches and they work just fine.

But if you are looking for something to pump the water out too then i would look at the smaller sicce pumps

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these wavemakers from amazon when i make small batches and they work just fine.

I use a spare power head too to mix my salt. It was more about getting it from the bucket to the tank without having to gravity siphon or use my current return pump . ☺️

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would definitely go sicce utility pump as first choice but second might be this jebao for the price

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving all the advice and input.. everyone is so awesome, helpful and given me a lot to consider. I really appreciate it.
I think I’m going to look into a more powerful (but not too powerful) return pump. That way, if my current return fails me or if I want to upgrade, I can do that. And use the other for the water changes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would definitely go sicce utility pump as first choice but second might be this jebao for the price

That sicce utility pump looks awesome!! A little bit more than what I want to spend on a utility pump. I will add it to my wish list for sure!!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Danner Supreme #2 pump. Has enough flow/pressure I can blow off my corals if needed, or just pump water back into the tank. Also it has a very long grounded cord, so it’s not hard to find a place to plug it in. I also use it for the initial mixing of my saltwater.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra zero user here too although I know it’s above your budget. They are excellent pumps although strangely noisy!

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce utility pump paired with a python hose and hook system legit changed my water change experience lol. Makes it so much easier for me

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For CHEAP ($20), I've been using this one for same purpose (pump new saltwater from container on floor into 40 gallon tank above during water change) -- been working fine for 8 months (but, as others noted, long-term reliability is probably suspect,,, but for $20):

Cheap Pump

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 193 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back