Water Change Question

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know regularly weekly or biweekly water changes are important whether manual or automatic in the first year or so. Is there a point when you can just stop doing them altogether? Even in a nano reef tank? Does anyone no longer do water changes or still does them after years…experiences? I know results will vary and it depends on what you keep.

Last edited:

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you do them to solve a problem way I see it. It replenishes calcium and alkalinity while lowering nutrients and gives you a chance to siphon out algae, cyano, and detritus. You don't need to do them at all depending on how you run the tank and there is no set rule. It's impossible to apply a single rule to all tanks. They are all so unique in how they function.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say that I have not done "regular" water changes in any of my tanks since 2016. It is not for everybody but it has worked for me. If I do a water change it is usually due to some kind of maintenance that involved removing water. Not just because it has been two weeks and my salt manufacture said I should change out some water.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still do them after years of experience . My corals seem to perk up afterwards . Yes I could probably go without but for me I believe their are other things in the mixture that get depleted that I don’t wish to dose plus it helps to keep my tank clean as I always siphon out my sand bed while doing them . It’s a preference thing

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different systems and methods for not doing water changes. each of these have to be evaluated for their complexity and what is going to fit with your tank and your life style. If this is your first tank, I would recommend 10% water changes once per week based on testing and water parameters. As your tank matures, and you continue to grow (sorry I am assuming this is your first tank). You will begin to see what the tank needs and how often things need to be done. I would recommend testing once per week, I recall that you have an apex so if you are monitoring PH you should see the ebb and flow of the daily changes in PH with the cycle of the lights.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a few different systems and methods for not doing water changes. each of these have to be evaluated for their complexity and what is going to fit with your tank and your life style. If this is your first tank, I would recommend 10% water changes once per week based on testing and water parameters. As your tank matures, and you continue to grow (sorry I am assuming this is your first tank). You will begin to see what the tank needs and how often things need to be done. I would recommend testing once per week, I recall that you have an apex so if you are monitoring PH you should see the ebb and flow of the daily changes in PH with the cycle of the lights.
Yes and I keep up with it.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know regularly weekly or biweekly water changes are important whether manual or automatic in the first year or so. Is there a point when you can just stop doing them altogether? Even in a nano reef tank? Does anyone no longer do water changes or still does them after years…experiences? I know results will vary and it depends on what you keep.
Look at the tank of the month

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a regularly debated topic, but dropping water changes doesn't come without a uptick in other means of husbandry.

There's no clear answer what is "best". It is clear that some great tanks can go without water changes, but it is rarely evident whether those same tanks would be better or worse if doing water changes in addition to whatever they currently do..

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question about nanos is a good focal point.
Jake Adams has a tank that he set up in one day and went a year or 2 without a water change. It was also not terribly heavily stocked and it is Jake adams. (For goodness sake)

Have a 15 G desk top that is over loaded with LPS and splitting anemones and crustaceans, and do a simple 1 gallon switch every Saturday morning - takes 3 minutes and think its part of the tanks’ limited success

Both tanks are healthy and thriving and with my 2 years of experience and husbandry skills the changes are important. But who am I to argue with others sharing the same success.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back