Water Change Question -

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly water changes on my office tank. My Brute container holds 35 gallons of water. Its something like a 44 gallon container, but 35 gallons is just about right where it won't get too close to the edge.

Normally I will do a 10 gallon water change week one, another 10 gallon water change on week two, then a 15 gallon water change on the third week since there is 15 gallons of water left in the container by the point.

My total system is around 110 gallons with the sump included.

My question is, do you see any issue if I were to do 3 weeks of 10 gallon water changes then a 5 gallon water change on week 4? I ask, because it would be easier, and have the salt bucket last a little longer by only mixing water once a month.

Instead of changing 35 gallons over 3 weeks, I'd be changing 35 gallons over 4 weeks.

Last edited:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm miss-reading something, sounds like you're planning to change the same amount of water (35 gallons) per month, just scatter it over one extra water change.

If that's the case, I'd almost think that would be slightly better, just from a stability standpoint.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm miss-reading something, sounds like you're planning to change the same amount of water (35 gallons) per month, just scatter it over one extra water change.

If that's the case, I'd almost think that would be slightly better, just from a stability standpoint.

Really, instead of changing 35 gallons over a period of 3 weeks, I'd be changing 35 gallons of water over 4 weeks.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, instead of changing 35 gallons over a period of 3 weeks, I'd be changing 35 gallons of water over 4 weeks.
I did misunderstand then -- I thought both scenarios covered the same 4 week timespan.

So you'd be (roughly) going from changing about 12 gallons/week to about 9 gallons/week. Overall 25% less total water changed.

I'll leave it to others to comment. (I change roughly 20% every 2 weeks or at least twice per month, but all tanks are different and there's lot of opinions on water changes)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new schedule will be fine.

After many years in the hobby I do 10% WC on 3 systems once a month with great results.
I feel my tanks are more stable with less. I do dose trace.
I do 2gs on my 20g nano cube and 12gs on my 80g total 120g.
My 45 frag system 60g total and 6g WC every month.
20220503_114006.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back