Water change schedule for for 40 breeder

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if I do automatic water changes every day how much should I change the water. I was watching this video last night and this guy was talking about doing a 2 gallon water change a day for a 550 gallon tank. That doesn't seem like that much relative to the amount of water. I think that is about .3% a day or 4% a week. He claimed that they didn't have to mix salt for about 100 days since they had a 200 gallon storage tank. Which would of course be ideal. So would a smaller tank like my 40 breeder need more water changes than a 550 gallon tank?

I'm limited on my water storage space so I can maybe store 25 gallons of saltwater and I really don't want to have to mix it all the time. So that might alter some of my plans.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I may have ended up answering my own question. I guess .3% daily is reasonable number. So that would mean about a 1.25 gallons a week (60 gallons total tank volume), which means I would have to make new batch about every 112 days which isn't too bad. Granted I may need to do it more often if there are issues where I need to change out more at times.

"These changes are similar to the large changes above, but are much smaller and are done more frequently. Daily changes of 0.25% to 2%, for example, can be used. One could also do a series of consecutive small water changes on the same day"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back