Water change temp. What do you do?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to bring salinity up so I bring temperature up aswell just in case. Although, sometimes I do wish I could freeze my tank especially recently (Darn Eunice species in my nano).
I had a destructive Eunice in Tonga rock, broke that rock apart, ejected the long Eunice and decided to discard that rock. Just in case there were more in it.

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20G brute bucket that I make salt water in that stays at room temp and will use it cold if I only take a small amount out to dip frags or whatever. But will heat it up with 100W heater over night if I need to do water change the next day. Temp only swing .2 maybe off of there set temp of 79-79.5

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone is having keeping tank temp down, would an intentional REFRIGERATED small water change be helpful? No lid, fan blowing on water, 104 degrees outside...
Sure. That's one way to deal with an overheated tank. Just be sure there are powerheads running (I'm assuming your return is off during the WC) to disperse the new water, and don't lower the temp too fast.
You can also float refrigerated/frozen bottles of water (distilled, salt, or RODI, just in case of a leak) to lower the temp.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the Same thing happen with my Anemones, they Spawned when adding new cold water to Aquarium.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought much about it. In house temp is typically between 72-78 degrees and my rodi storage is located in a temp controlled part of the house. Always just mixed the salt for a bit with a powerhead and dumped it in the tank.

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. That's one way to deal with an overheated tank. Just be sure there are powerheads running (I'm assuming your return is off during the WC) to disperse the new water, and don't lower the temp too fast.
You can also float refrigerated/frozen bottles of water (distilled, salt, or RODI, just in case of a leak) to lower the temp.
Not looking to lower temp. My 2 nanos run at 79. They are in a cooler place in my house and feel more comfortable being at a happy medium between 78-80.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Withstanding huge water changes (50%+), you have to be way off to make much of an impact. I still just temperature match since I heat the water for final mixing anyway, and it’s not hard to dial in a heater at your system temperature. Also I have seen that heated/mixed water stores best. But in reality temperature is the least stable parameter in the ocean.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back