Water change testing

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you choose to generally test after a water change? Immediately, several hours later or the next day?

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test next day, typically. But if I'm concerned about a parameter being off, I will test in an hour or so.
So you think in an hour so it’ll give you same results as next day (not feeding tank)

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think in an hour so it’ll give you same results as next day (not feeding tank)
No, I only test in an hour if I'm concerned about something. Then I will test again the next day just to make sure I took care of the issue properly.

Otherwise, I test next day only.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test nitrates and phosphate before water change just to make sure they ain't gone up to high . I test alk about 3 times a week just to keep it stable . Ph I don't bother much it's always 8.2 to 8.4 cal/mag I don't test that much as I have mainly softies. I only have 1 SPS and it seems happy .

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to check right before my weekly water changes. Now I just test alk, n03, p04 weekly and mag n calcium about 1 a month….no water changes.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to check right before my weekly water changes. Now I just test alk, n03, p04 weekly and mag n calcium about 1 a month….no water changes.
What’s the benefits of checking before wc, how can you know what’s changing after the wc?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You test before a water change to know how far parameters have changed since last water change and can tell when you when you need to do another or size for that matter.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the benefits of checking before wc, how can you know what’s changing after the wc?
Exactly as @Dbichler stated. It was also easier for me to gauge how much water I was gonna change based on where my nutrients n alk sat. Primarily we change water for nutrient export. Once you hit a target number you tweak how much you take out by testing before and at least 24 hrs later to measure change. Once I found sweet spot it just made sense for me to test before. Also, Some times you find that a wc isn’t necessary when you test before.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly as @Dbichler stated. It was also easier for me to gauge how much water I was gonna change based on where my nutrients n alk sat. Primarily we change water for nutrient export. Once you hit a target number you tweak how much you take out by testing before and at least 24 hrs later to measure change. Once I found sweet spot it just made sense for me to test before. Also, Some times you find that a wc isn’t necessary when you test before.
Well since you put it this way, it actually makes sense haha, It’s a still a new tank 5 months old so I’m tying to get a trend started I guess lol

Back