Water Changes in a Large Tank

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far can the tubing be between tank and reservoirs?

The paristalic pumps can go pretty far. I’m using a Neptune DOS for the same thing and my tubes go into the wall, up through the attic, then down into the garage where my water reservoirs are. The tubes are a good 40 feet for me.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very far, these pumps can put out 40+ psi. You could lift the water up several stories if you needed. Mine pulls water up from the basement to the first floor about 20' of hose with a 14' height difference, and the drain goes from the tank above to the other side of the basement, about 40' of hose. the pump doesn't struggle at all with this.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who do water changes into a sink, don’t you worry about sand build up in your pipes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who do water changes into a sink, don’t you worry about sand build up in your pipes?

I drain into a laundry tub - and if some (or sometimes a lot lol) of sand gets in I fill it to the brim with water (its 3 feet deep or so) and let that flush the drain out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The paristalic pumps can go pretty far. I’m using a Neptune DOS for the same thing and my tubes go into the wall, up through the attic, then down into the garage where my water reservoirs are. The tubes are a good 40 feet for me.

Very far, these pumps can put out 40+ psi. You could lift the water up several stories if you needed. Mine pulls water up from the basement to the first floor about 20' of hose with a 14' height difference, and the drain goes from the tank above to the other side of the basement, about 40' of hose. the pump doesn't struggle at all with this.

So how long does it take to do lets say 40 gallons - I want something with 2 hoses one for draining one for filling - and have it completed quickly. Also the option to 'fill only' on some occasions...? and have the system be portable - i.e. not always out visible.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long does it take to do lets say 40 gallons - I want something with 2 hoses one for draining one for filling - and have it completed quickly. Also the option to 'fill only' on some occasions...? and have the system be portable - i.e. not always out visible.

Peristaltic pumps are not really ideal for quick on demand water changes... they are better suited for slower continuous water changes. For example my DOS is configured to change 55ml every 10 minutes all day every day. This changes about 2 gallons a day. It only uses 1/4 inch tubes since it’s such low volume so the tubes are easy to run though walls and hide.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Peristaltic pumps are not really ideal for quick on demand water changes... they are better suited for slower continuous water changes. For example my DOS is configured to change 55ml every 10 minutes all day every day. This changes about 2 gallons a day. It only uses 1/4 inch tubes since it’s such low volume so the tubes are easy to run though walls and hide.

Right - was wondering if anyone had a solution for doing a quick change. I already have my own method but its often messy lol... (ie lots of spilled water)

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump set up changes out 30 gallons in about 2 hours. I can set it on a timer and it will shut itself off when it is done. With proper sized tubing, peristaltic pumps like mine can do 40 gallons in an hour or so. I just have smaller hose on mine. I can just fill, or just drain if I want. I just take the inlet hose out of my tank or out of the new water barrel when I turn the pump on. Peristaltic pumps can run dry safely, so it doesn't hurt anything, even after running for hours.

If you're looking for fast, peristaltic pumps are not a good choice. You may want to go with a more traditional pump like a MAG 24, or whatever size mag pump you need for the amount of head pressure you have and flowrate you want. You will have to manually drain the tank water though, as they do not pair flowrates, so can't fill and drain at the same rate.

My peristalic pump hoses are only about 1/4-5/16" in diameter, so I just have a pair of small holes drilled in the floor under the stand to run the hoses. Nothing that can't be easily fixed if I ever more the tank. Some people even run them through the walls or behind the floorboards/trim to hide them in a semi-permanent spot.

If I run into a situation that I have an emergency and need to change water fast, I may have to do the old fashioned bucket brigade. haven't had tro yet since I've automated though.

One negative of doing this way is I only drain water from the tank. No cleaning the sand or anything like that. for that, I would drain into a filtersock in my sump my hand. Not something I frequently do though.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to mention is the DOS is not meant for continuous duty. It's a popular option for automatic water changes, but better for several small changes throughout the day. If you want to do it all at once, you need something continuous duty like a masterflex pump. They are quite pricey though brand new, but can be found used on ebay for less than a new DOS.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pump set up changes out 30 gallons in about 2 hours. I can set it on a timer and it will shut itself off when it is done. With proper sized tubing, peristaltic pumps like mine can do 40 gallons in an hour or so. I just have smaller hose on mine. I can just fill, or just drain if I want. I just take the inlet hose out of my tank or out of the new water barrel when I turn the pump on. Peristaltic pumps can run dry safely, so it doesn't hurt anything, even after running for hours.

If you're looking for fast, peristaltic pumps are not a good choice. You may want to go with a more traditional pump like a MAG 24, or whatever size mag pump you need for the amount of head pressure you have and flowrate you want. You will have to manually drain the tank water though, as they do not pair flowrates, so can't fill and drain at the same rate.

My peristalic pump hoses are only about 1/4-5/16" in diameter, so I just have a pair of small holes drilled in the floor under the stand to run the hoses. Nothing that can't be easily fixed if I ever more the tank. Some people even run them through the walls or behind the floorboards/trim to hide them in a semi-permanent spot.

If I run into a situation that I have an emergency and need to change water fast, I may have to do the old fashioned bucket brigade. haven't had tro yet since I've automated though.

One negative of doing this way is I only drain water from the tank. No cleaning the sand or anything like that. for that, I would drain into a filtersock in my sump my hand. Not something I frequently do though.

So I right now use a return pump (I think one of the larger since - I dont remember the number). I siphon off 40 gallons - then put the pump and a 1 inch hose into the SW reservoir and then turn it on - but - I always end up with someone (me or a dog) tripping over the return hose and spraying salt water all over. maybe we can continue to talk about it under PM - unless others are interested - I dont want to hijack the thread with questions. I dont mind the process lasting an hour as long as the entire 'set up' can be moved to another room when its not in use (i.e. storage) - and I dont have to sit there watching it lol:)

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Python hoses, a good pump, and Brute trash cans! I did my 120gal tank for almost 3 years with buckets...my hubby always had to help me refill, I couldn't lift them that high! Our water pressure was not enough to use the Python on the sink. Then, I got a pump and holy moly, it was life changing! With my 380 gal, I can run the Python house to the basement shower drain...another huge help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Python hoses, a good pump, and Brute trash cans! I did my 120gal tank for almost 3 years with buckets...my hubby always had to help me refill, I couldn't lift them that high! Our water pressure was not enough to use the Python on the sink. Then, I got a pump and holy moly, it was life changing! With my 380 gal, I can run the Python house to the basement shower drain...another huge help.

I use a python - but it wastes a whole bunch of water - curious - how do you do it - put a pump in your tank - and pump it to the shower - and then pump it back to the tank from the SW reservoir using the same pump?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a python - but it wastes a whole bunch of water - curious - how do you do it - put a pump in your tank - and pump it to the shower - and then pump it back to the tank from the SW reservoir using the same pump?

Yep! It is awesome! I do most of the change right from the sump, I usually take a little bit out of the display. Then all the new water is pumped back into the sump. I don't worry about trying to vacuum my sand, I "storm" all the rock, and sand with a Turkey baster prior to my change. Then my jawfish and Engineer goby mix up the rest!

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! It is awesome! I do most of the change right from the sump, I usually take a little bit out of the display. Then all the new water is pumped back into the sump. I don't worry about trying to vacuum my sand, I "storm" all the rock, and sand with a Turkey baster prior to my change. Then my jawfish and Engineer goby mix up the rest!
That's an interesting tidbit on the turkey baster. I'll have to try that

Squirrellyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of pump do you use?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back