Water changes & salt

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a silly question maybe but when you do a water change is it absolutely vital that ALL the salt dissolves? I stir and mix and stir and mix and I seem to always have about 1/2 top that won't dissolve. I use Instant Ocean 1 cup to 2 gals. Also, is one type/brand of salt any better than the other?
Thanks in advance

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes all the salt needs to dissolve. Its best top use a powerhead or a pump to circulate the water for a few hours before you use it. Not all salts are created equal. i used IO for quite a few years with no issues. its a good starting salt, its cheap and easy to get.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most salt mixes leave a small amount that does not dissolve. So no, you do not have to wait for it ALL to dissolve. I make up batches in a 44 gallon Brute trash can. I put in 40 gallons and a bag of Instant ocean (I have since switched to reef crystals). I have power heads in the trash can. Typically, I let it mix 24 hours before using. In a pinch, one can use it sooner,

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used Tropic Marin salts. Started with their classic salt and then moved to pro reef. I use a small pump to mix 20-30G at a time. The salt is completely dissolved within a couple of hours.

BRS has a lot of great videos about salt. Here’s one on best methods for mixing.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most salt mixes leave a small amount that does not dissolve. So no, you do not have to wait for it ALL to dissolve. I make up batches in a 44 gallon Brute trash can. I put in 40 gallons and a bag of Instant ocean (I have since switched to reef crystals). I have power heads in the trash can. Typically, I let it mix 24 hours before using. In a pinch, one can use it sooner,
I was wondering if you ever test the water after its mixed and if your saltmix get moist and clumps in the bucket it came in after a while? I use reef crystal and was storing in hot garage and always got moist so I now keep in the house ( I live in florida) I was just wondering if it cause the mix to go bad. I also noticed some of an orange tint in areas so I am not using whats left! I did leave the lid off a few times ...lol but wont make that mistake again. Anyway. I used to keep about 9.5 dkh and now its anywhere between 7.5 and below 7. Today 6.5 with hanna checker so was getting everything ready to start dosing. I decided to check the watttter that is mixed in a storage container that I mix in and happen to have some left from water change last week and the mix read 6.0 and another time 5.9 alk! Kind o fexplains why last week my alk was 6.8 and di a 40 perect water change and only uped to 7.4 and I read that r.C. has I think 12 dkh but a real high number. I used to be able to maintain proper alk before this last batch but at the same time I also bought about 30 frags in that time period since I got it. I also checked the temp and the water was 88.5 degrees. I know it haeats the water but I make a about 25 gallons at a time but only had a few gallons left so heated it a lot more. I wonder if it gets above a certain temp if it destroys the salt mix. I di mix a small batch at 1026 salinity and checked it to rechecka fresh batch and got same readings though. I buy it on Amazon for 30 bucks for 160 gallon so maybe its fake, because everywhere else is double the price!

sorrry to bother you just concered about dosing but guess I iwll bring it up 1 point until I can get new salt mix and preform a waterchange..Just all very odd! Thanks

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had salt that didn't dissolve completely (haven't used anything but IO and RC). I've had stuff precipitate out and sink to the bottom of uncirculated water (in sealed buckets) and I've had deposits precipitate and stick to my (circulated) salt water container. Even 15 minutes of hand stirring is usually enough to dissolve and clear the water though I don't use mixed salt until days or weeks later. I keep 15g in a circulated/heated container and another 10g in buckets thst gets added to the heated/circulated container as it gets used.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you are talking about something different to the OP, sounds to me the OP is either mixing by hand or not mixing long enough, you seem to be talking about salt precipitation and salt residue left behind in a salt mixing tub.

OP I would use a powerhead or return pump to mix if you are not, and would suggest mixing the salt until it is clear, normally at least 2 hours minimum, the linked video above from BRS is well worth a watch.

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is undissolved "salt" in your mixing container after several hours it is more likely CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) that has precipitated out of solution. Not terribly uncommon IME.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a silly question maybe but when you do a water change is it absolutely vital that ALL the salt dissolves? I stir and mix and stir and mix and I seem to always have about 1/2 top that won't dissolve. I use Instant Ocean 1 cup to 2 gals. Also, is one type/brand of salt any better than the other?
Thanks in advance
And Salt is salt, different combinations, different processes, different turns, some mix faster, some leave a residual on the mixing bin.....use one that you can access easily and consistently and mixes as close as possible to your target parameters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back